in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

how to correct a bad latch?

Last post 10-24-2012 8:35 AM by Brlnbabies. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-18-2012 9:58 AM

• mangaP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • in the rain
    • Posts 24

how to correct a bad latch?

OK fellow midwives. I am not a lactation consultant but I am a midwife. I am trying to help a new mom over the phone. She had her baby in the hospital (In India) the baby did not nurse right away but started in the last 24 hours to nurse. 

She has breastfed a previous baby but with pain for the whole breastfeeding experience. She thinks her baby is not latching properly and says when her baby comes off the nipple, the nipple is shaped like a new tube of lipstick and is blanched white at the tip. It's also extremely painful. 

Sounds like a bad latch to me. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as web literature that she can read over here in India that can help her correct this problem. I am in a different city than her and cannot help her in person. 

Thanks!

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in peoples minds."
    - Samuel Adams
  • 10-24-2012 8:35 AM In reply to

Re: how to correct a bad latch?

Definitely a funky latch!  Has she tried baby-led or "laid back" breastfeeding?  This works like a charm in the overwhelming majority of poor latch situations. If that doesn't do the trick, it could be the anterior frenulum which is too tight.

Check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zln0LTkejIs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcpkYrOPBE

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.