in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Whining...bad experience with nurse practitioner

Last post 10-16-2012 6:56 AM by RobsGirl. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2012 11:38 AM

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Whining...bad experience with nurse practitioner

Hi all,

It has been a very long time since I was here.  I'm happy to see a few of you "old timers" still about. 

I need to vent, a little angry right now.  Probably serves me right for trying to take the easy way out.

I've had a pretty uneventful couple of years regarding my GYN health.  I saw a new (male) doc last year for my pap after deciding I was done having babies and didn't want to make the trek to see my homebirth midwives and fight with the insurance carrier to cover the visit, etc.  I knew I had the confidence to wrangle the doctor anyway if he was pushing anything, because (having been here so much over the years and having read so much about women's health) I know a lot, and I know what I want and don't want when it comes to my own health.  Everything went great that summer (2011).  The doc tried to push genetic breast cancer testing on me because of my family history.  He strongly suggested that I do it and I strongly declined.  That was the end of everything.  I didn't mind dealing with him, but I decided in the future I would try to see someone else in the practice.

I went back yesterday for my yearly pap, and to discuss a couple of concerns, and ended up seeing the women's health nurse practitioner.  She was very professional, a bit clinical, perhaps, and listened to my concerns.  She took my history and asked if I had been offered the breast cancer genetic testing and I told her about the previous year when the doctor had strongly suggested that I do it, but I had thought about it and decided I really didn't want to do that.  We went on to talk about mammograms and she asked if I had any objections to that, rather flatly.  I knew then that she had pegged me already as "one of those" kind of patients.  Whatever.  So she did my exam, took some cultures and a wet prep because of some irritations I'd been having, did the pap and the pelvic and then left the room for me to get dressed, telling me to leave the door open when I was finished.  It took a while, but I heard her walking back and forth and entering things into the computer.  Then she approached one of the doctors in the hallway and I heard her explain to him that she had seen Dr. So and So's patient, and her cervix just looks junky, kind of scraped up and just not normal.... yada yada yada.  This was all within my earshot and that of any number of patients and staff.  When she finally did come in, she told me about her findings (BV and a little yeast and quite a few white blood cells...really common stuff), but wanted to put me on doxycycline "for the white blood cells".  I objected to the systemic antibiotics for a local infection, and so she went on to explain that they use it all the time.  Well, "I don't use it all the time.  I try to avoid systemic antibiotics," and explained why.  She went on to imply that she thought I might have another type of STI because of the number of white blood cells, not usually seen in BV only.  Now she's never examined me before (and she admitted that), she knows that every pap I've ever had has been normal, but she doesn't know me from Adam enough to know that my husband and I were virgins at marriage and have been totally monogamous ever since.  She did agree to have me try metrogel and diflucan for the infections and wanted me to come in and see the doc for a colposcopy to check out my "junky" cervix (she did not say that to my face, thankfully, or I would have had words with her).  She again offered the genetic testing, sent me home with scripts for an ultrasound, a colposcopy, a mammogram, bloodwork, medicine, and put me in for cultures for STI's and herpes. 

Holy cow, these people are overkill.  I am frankly, quite upset.  I appreciate thoroughness, but now I've experienced exactly why it is so crutial to have an established relationship with your caregiver.  I have learned something from this. 

Thanksf or letting me vent.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 10-13-2012 10:04 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Whining...bad experience with nurse practitioner

Robsgirl,

Very inappropriate behavior for a caregiver. I am sorry for your experience. You must have really good insurance!!  That's a lot of test ordered!!  You have to be the diligent consumer in the theater of western medicine these days.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 10-13-2012 10:48 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Thanks, April.  :-) 

I know.  How did I think I would come out unscathed after seeking out the easiest, most convenient local option with no other criteria???  I'm searching again.  I'll ask some friends and make some phonecalls.  I've seen some great profiles online, but they are a good drive away.  That seems to be the case here in my county.  

Thanks again,

RobsGirl, 31

• 10-15-2012 8:38 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

This story is such a bummer to hear....so sorry that you were treated that way.  I should not, but still do expect better from NP's and CNM's.  Many providers are so careless with their words, it is unbelievable.  On a small side note....there is no reason for you to continue with yearly pap smears.  The guidelines have changed in the past one to two years.  I do not know your age, however, in your twenties it is a pap smear every other year.  Then at 30, a pap smear with testing for HPV, if the pap is normal and the HPV negative then you drop down to a pap smear every 3-5 years.

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
  • 10-16-2012 6:56 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Aubre,

I've always been really  happy with my NP experiences too, until now.  I was quite surprised.  I think that because I expected better, I do feel more disappointed by the whole thing.  When I saw the doctor last year, I actually expected to have a bit of a fight and have to wrangle him a bit.  Plus, I had heard things about his bedside manner being a bit clinical.  So I was prepeared.  I was expecting a nice warm visit and discussion with a nice nurse (nurses are usually caring and informative in my experience...right??  Wrong.)

I will consider dropping down to every 3 years or so.  I'll be 32 in a month.  My midwives told me about the new guideline a couple of years ago, but when I skipped a year and then went to the doctor in this office, he chided me and said my midwives were misinformed.  I don't know what he is talking about, because I have seen these guidelines plastered all over the place. 

There are also new guidelines on breast cancer screening, too, I think.  They've upped the age of first mammograms to 50, if I remember correcly.  I've decided to not go for the yearly mammo's, but using the BSE regularly.  I've read that the ratiation exposure actually increases the risk of breast cancer.  My risk is probably a little higher than other women's because my mother had BC (ductal and lobular carcinoma in situ) when she was 42 years old, but she is still here and there is no other pattern of BC in the family.  My other factors, like having babies early and fairly often, breastfeeding for a total of 4.5 years, and other lifestyle factors, help lower it back down to just below 20 % lifetime risk.  I'm choosing to remain ignorant of my genetic status, not wanting to walk through life with a positive test hanging over my head, even though there is only a 20 percent chance it would be positive.  I always fall into the margin, historically, so I'm not going there.  I know myself and it would not be good for my health to have that knowlege.  The doctor could not wrap his mind around the fact that I wouldn't want to know "if a truck was going to hit me at high speed at 6 PM that evening" and did press me on it because he wants to "help women."

So I've gotten the strong impression, after a total of 3 visits, that this practice likes to come in with the cavalry with everything.  My stack of orders for every test in the book for a simple mixed vaginal infection, a cervix that has been through a lot, and all of the possible risk factors, "just in case", just to be thorough.  I'm not the only one.  I know another woman (34) who gets a coposcopy in this office every year with her pap because there was an aunt who had cervical cancer, just in case.  I don't know.  It just seems like far too much, and maybe we're actually hurting women because we're overdiagnosing things.  Makes me wonder how they are with pregnant women for prenatal care and birth.  Shudder.

I'm even debating whether or not I will go in for the colposcopy.  If my pap comes back normal, is there any sense in that?  Do I need to be rechecked to see in the BV and yeast have subsided, or should I just go by my symptoms?  If not, I'd rather not go back there ever.

RobsGirl, 31

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.