in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Practicing Rurally

Last post 09-12-2013 9:50 PM by Brandon_Roth. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2012 10:09 PM

Practicing Rurally

Hi everyone!  I too, want to help revitalize this forum spot.  I used to come here often to learn and find great wisdoms and found it very valuable.  My question to you now is about practicing midwifery rurally.  I live about an hour from the nearest hospital, and will soon be serving woman in my community.  For those of you who practice rurally, or even those of you who do not, what are some of the differences in the way you practice when serving woman further from medical services?  I plan to look over my current protocols and look closely at them, to see if I have anything to revise or update, (I have been on maternity leave for the past year).  Just curious to hear from some of you about the topic.  Thanks for your input!  

• 10-07-2012 11:18 AM In reply to

Re: Practicing Rurally

I too practice rurally, most of the time, in Southern OH, which is the northern edge of the area called "Appalachia" A very depressed part of the country. I do get occasional calls from more urban areas, 2 hrs away. I realized that when I do get calls from the cities, it is usually because I am cheaper than the city midwives, so I have started charging more to go into the cities (Columbus, Dayton & Cincinnati) However, most of the ppl near me are on welfare, so go to the hospital for a "free" birth. Many say they would love to have a homebirth, but cannot afford one, even w/o asking my fee, so how do they know they can't afford my services? Very frustrating!

In general though, I do see more transfers from my urban clients than the rural ones.  I think ppl are more likely to live a healthier lifestyle in the country than the city, but not always.

• 09-12-2013 9:50 PM In reply to

Re: Practicing Rurally

Good information which you are share with us .

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.