in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Re-introduce/introduce/catch-up thread...

Last post 02-26-2009 10:23 AM by Doula Mary. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2009 7:34 AM

Re-introduce/introduce/catch-up thread...

Hi,

Well you guys are mainly asleep or at work so i thought i'd take the time to begin a thread for us all to get to know one another again.  I thought if we all did a little post we could refresh everyone's memories :)

So, i'm Beccy.  I'm in Scotland in the UK, i have one daughter who is 3 in a few months (where did my BABY go!?).  DD's dad and i split when she was 8 weeks old but we remain good friends and he sees her plenty and is involved.  I have been together with DP since a few months after my split from XP, and we recently moved in together, the 3 of us.  So far it has been great :)  We're considering ttc this summer, and i am emailing with what seems to be a wonderful independant midwife about the possibility of having her attend my next birth.

I continue to be saddended, angered and exasperated by the misinformation and lack of information available to women about their options during pregnancy and birth, and am irritated by a system that uses fear to improve their staffing situations (i.e. telling a woman she can't homebirth because the baby will die simply because it will be hard to lose the midwives off the ward for her birth).  A student midwife visited me today with the health visitor who came to see DD as we've just moved to this area.  The student told me that i was lucky DD didn't die as the stillbirth risk is "so so high" after EDD+10 and the HV told me that ALL children without exception have full sphincter and bladder control by 24 months so she should be toilet trained by now.  Also that i cannot possibly provide the input a nursery could for her to "REALLY learn", meanwhile DD is counting "55, 56, 57, 58...." in the background. 

I believe in birth.  I believe in choice.  I believe in women.

Ah...  It's good to be back.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 02-24-2009 11:26 PM In reply to

Re: Re-introduce/introduce/catch-up thread...

Just a little comment about preschool.  I think it is a good option  for people who want it.  Back in the old days[my oldest is 45---yup,makes me old ,pres of the old farts club]  I didn't want someone else caring for my kids.  I had the crazy idea that no one could do it as well as I could.  We did numbers,letters,etc. as we just lived day to day.  My children were well spoken and able to negotiate with a Government Lawyer by the time they went to school.  Did you ever notice that smart kids frighten the professionals?  Hard to get 20 little wooden soldiers to march to the drum of choice when one of them has quessed the outcome and decides to protest.  You have the right idea.  Just say yup and yup and go about your business.

AND glad to hear from you.  meanwhile I am on full time nursing duty with my dh.  He is doing better and it will be spring soon!

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 02-25-2009 7:54 PM In reply to

Oh my goodness!  I'm SO glad MT is back up!  And wouldn't you know it, the forums were closed for my ENTIRE pregnancy, birth, and newborn period!!!  Whaaaa! 

Anyways, it's Emily and I had a baby girl October 25 at home in water with the most amazing midwives ever.  Her name is Adelh Muirrean and she is an awesome baby.  She's 4 months old today!  You can't imagine how often I wanted to come on to these forums for advice or to share what was happening through the journey of my pregnancy and birth.  

I was working as a doula and CBE both privately and with Moms who were in recovery from drug addiction before I quit to have Adelh.  I did one birth when Adelh was about 2.5 months old, with her in the wrap the whole time, and decided that was way too much for me.  So I'm on hiatus until she's a bit older.  I'm also almost finished with my prerequisites for a nursing program and still plan on eventually being a CNM.  

Ok, gotta go nurse the little one!  I can't wait to reconnect with so many of you!

Em, Momma to Adelh
    Doula and CNM in the making
  • 02-26-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Shoot, I'm so upset we missed your pregnancy and birth!!!  I remember how much you itched to try for a baby but had to hold off just a little longer.  If you go to the thread, "A Long Year without MT", in the parenting forum, I mentioned you and your story, and we caught up on what was happening when MT forums went down. 

Congratulations many times over on your baby girl and the wonderful birth.  She must be a joy!!  Such a beautiful name.   Maybe when you have time you can post your birth story.

It does seem pretty complicated trying to become/be a midwife with little ones.  I'm wrestling with that mentally right now too (thinking CPM...might have to wait several years), as are others.  I'm already an LPN (licenced practical nurse), so CPM seems logical to me, especially with all the educational options, but the midwife's lifestyle might not be right for me.  I don't know yet.

Welcome back.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 02-26-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

Wonderful news..and welcome back friend!

Yes, grow up your little one, there will always be birth work.

Mary

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.