in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

New here...Help?

Last post 08-09-2012 3:41 AM by Nomae. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2012 2:36 PM

New here...Help?

Hi there, I'm new here!

Just wanted to introduce myself and throw some questions out there to see if there's anyone willing to help my poor, confused self out.

So first I guess a bit about how I came to be interested in becoming a midwife. 

I've always been fascinated by pregnancy and childbirth. I guess it came from being the first one born in my generation by many years and watching so many pregnant family members and visiting them in hospitals with their new babies. I would constantly get in trouble for playing "pregnant" and "birth" instead of normal games of house with my dolls. 

As I got older, my fear of needles and aversion to unnecessary medial treatments combined with this fascination with childbirth led me into lots of research about natural birth, the chain of interventions, etc. I became interested in possibly becoming a midwife during high school, but was told under no uncertain terms by my family that that was not an option. They said I would not put to waste all of my advanced courses by not going to prestigious college. They thought the idea of watching crazy people who refused pain medicine give birth on a regular basis was just disgusting. Just our of curiosity, I threw out the idea of going to medical school to become an obstetrician (which I would never want to do) and they still thought it was weird to want to have to see babies born, but said a medical degree of any kind would be acceptable.

So away I went to get my bachelors degree.

And now I sit less than a year away from graduation with my bachelors degree in biology and no idea what to do with it. Nothing else is calling me like midwifery is. So I started looking into different methods of getting involved, regardless of what my family my think of it. But I still have no idea how any of you managed to pull it off. 

I currently live in California, but am planning a move to Texas in the next two years or so. I've found some online midwifery schools, but they all are so expensive. Plus, they require lengthy apprenticeships that look to take up as much time as full time job. I don't know how to pull it off without sacrificing having my own family in the near future. 

Now obviously I understand why the training is so intensive. It better be if they're going to entrust you with the safety of lives. But how financially and time wise were you able to make it all work? I'm not really committed to any one type of midwifery yet (CNM, CMP, etc.). Probably depend on where I end up studying.

But so I guess my main questions (after all of that, sorry), revolve around time and money to fund this dream, along with recommendations for where to start based on my background.

Thanks so much for anyone who got through all that :P

• 08-09-2012 3:41 AM In reply to

• Nomae
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-26-2010
    • Posts 5

Re: New here...Help?

I'm a CPM. Getting through my apprenticeship was hard, no doubt. It took a great deal of committment and hard work, both in and out of the practice I was in. Besides having a toddler (and later another baby in the middle of my apprenticeship, from which I took 6 months off before returning with breastpump!), I was also in a long-distance midwifery program, expected to be at the office for visits at least 15 hours a week and normally attended 3-6 births a month (with all follow up postpartum visits). I also needed to contribute financially to our family, so I cleaned offices twice a week in the evening, I did both birth and postpartum doula work and basically bartered for all my childcare needs! It can be done! A strong passion brings the will power to see you through, really. :)

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.