in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Rebozo Questions

Last post 11-13-2011 12:04 PM by worstfriend. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-11-2011 2:08 PM

Rebozo Questions

Do you use a rebozo during labor?  A recent post on another site grabbed my attention.  Someone mentioned that they no longer use a rebozo because they associate the rebozo and the sifting technique with prolapsed cord.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  Why would sifting via a rebozo "cause" a cord prolapse?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 11-11-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Rebozo Questions

I have never heard about a rebozo and prolapsed cord?  Smells a little fishy to me.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 11-12-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

Well, it does to me, too, so I thought I'd post it here.  Are there any dangers with using a rebozo?  Can one simply look at an online demo and use a rebozo?  Does one need training in person?  Should a rebozo not be used for a baby who has not descended into the pelvis?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 11-12-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Susan,

I tried searching for incident of rebozo use and prolapsed cord and could not find anything.  I love using a shawl in labor for so many things from correcting a malpresentation to hanging but I have never heard of increased chance of cord prolapse using a rebozo.  I think that standard obstetrical caregivers are not open to the simple use of these types of tools. Chunging is also something I like to use and I've heard snide remarks about shaken baby syndrome with that from the med community. Once, years ago, I had to transport a mama for a prolonged labor with a stubborn posterior lie and in the hospital we tried belly lifting to get baby to turn ( we tried everything at home).  My apprentice and I clasped hands together and formed a ledge above the pelvic brim to hold baby up while mom leaned backwards and the nurse who walked in in that moment cried out that we could hurt baby doing that maneuver .  No amount of explaining the technique could sway them and it went from that to we could have caused baby's death by doing that and it only undermined my efforts in parents eyes.  The transport became a c-section.  The same thing could've happened here.  Someone not understanding the use of the shawl could've seen the technique and the thought that it could cause a prolapsed cord became truth after many repeating's.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 11-13-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

The comment didn't come from a hospital or allopathic pracitioner.  It actually came from someone who is training to be a CPM.  I believe that the rebozo was used for "sifting" and in that same labor, baby died from cord prolapse.  I do not mean to be simplistic but it's always "the last thing" that is the culprit.

Susan

• 11-13-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

Brlnbabies was rebozo sifting being dine to help baby move into a better position?

After my experience with DD2 (very odd but allowed-to-progress-un-messed-with labour, true knot, vigorous baby) i would assume in that situation that the sifting was being done to help shift baby from an odd position - a position it had very likely gotten into either because the cord was already in a bad position (wrapped over the crown for example) or because the baby was staying that way to attempt to protect the cord from risk.

In labours like that one cannot know until the baby is born.  It is possible vaginal birth would always have caused the baby's death and the baby would have died anyway, being forced to either stay inside until exhaustion/abruption, or shift to begin descent and allow the cord prolapse.

Before DD2 i would not have BELIEVED how intuitive babies can be or how incredibly our bodies and theirs can "dance" together during the labour process and i know from talking to many doctors that most of them DO NOT believe this, and think it was pure luck which saved my child.  One said to me "yours is a case, pure and simple, where csections can be SEEN to save lives" - my daughter is very much alive and had apgars of 10, 10 and 10, but that dr could not imagine NOT messing with my slow, abnormal labour and then showing up the cord problem with EFM and steaming in with his knife to "save us".  He sees the lack of intervention as a failure in the care model i chose and not a very wise decision on the part of my experienced and intelligent midwife!

It's incredibly sad when a baby dies, but i strongly doubt the rebozo did anything to cause anything.  I expect it is infinitely more likely that re-positioning to make birth possible was going to lead to cord prolapse for that baby, and baby would surely have had to reposition to be born, whether rebozo helped it to or not.  I'm not a midwife but have seen a baby go from ROP to LOA during 2 contractions in a mother flat on her back and numb from ribs to toes.

I know for my own DD2 augmentation would have been her death, because she drove a 1:10 "labour" until i was fully dilated, and did not descend past 0 station until 4mins before she was born.  Luckily i was at home, unaugmented and can know this, instead of looking back on her death and knowing the drip i allowed them to plug into me caused it.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.