in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Finding a preceptor?

Last post 09-30-2011 10:09 PM by nicoliebee. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-29-2011 11:29 AM

Finding a preceptor?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to begin my midwifery education with the National College of Midwifery, but I'm unsure of how to go about finding a preceptor.  Do you guys have any suggestions or tips on how to go about the process?  How is it normally done?  What's the usual price range?  Any advice would be really helpful and welcome.  Thanks!

• 09-30-2011 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: Finding a preceptor?

I believe NCM has a listing of current preceptors in the student handbook - a good place to start is there and see if anyone in your area is already a preceptor with NCM.

You could also ask a few local midwives if they're willing to accept a student/apprentice at this time - I found that preceptors liked it when prospective students were enrolled in a formal program like NCM.

If you find someone willing to take you on as a student - be real nice and help her complete the paperwork for NCM - midwives are real busy ladies - or schedule a time to do it together - there is quite a bit of information that needs to be submitted to the school - anything you can do to help her get this done will ultimately help you.

Normal price range? At first I paid my preceptor. Then she decided it was an even trade. And after a while she started paying me a stipend per birth - as my skills improved. I also had a preceptor devoted solely to academic work - if you can find a midwife who is not incredibly busy (ha!) and is willing to review and provide feedback on your homework for NCM - that can be a lovely adjunct to the clinical preceptorship. I try to compensate my preceptors - even if they don't ask for money - because the service they provide me in teaching me is worth so much to me.

But it's negotiated on an individual basis.

I found it helpful to have my CPR and NRP certifications done prior to starting an apprenticeship - I also took the Midwifery Assistant class at the Farm - I had a few skills that the midwife wanted/needed in an assistant. Any skills you can get outside of an apprenticeship will help you get into an apprenticeship. Doula training, lactation training, phlebotomy...

It's hard to stick your neck out and ask for someone to take you on as a student - but that's the only way to do it! Good luck to you!

• 09-30-2011 10:09 PM In reply to

Re: Finding a preceptor?

Thank you!  That is such wonderful information!  Mainly what I'm concerned about is that I'm not going to be able to find a preceptor close enough to me.  But I'm sure someone will come along!  Thanks again.  :)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.