in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

carpal tunnel

Last post 07-06-2009 8:04 PM by midwifea. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2009 9:56 PM

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

carpal tunnel

Now this is where the old forums were such a resource, I know we had tons of info archived there about this.

Any other ideas besides; wrist braces while sleeping, tumeric for inflamation and accupuncture treatments?

Mama is healthy, 25 yr.old primip, 37 weeks now, with a previous hx of carpal tunnel as she was a woodworker.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 02-13-2009 9:50 PM In reply to

Re: carpal tunnel

I used some stretching manuevers/manipulation on my own carpal tunnel...successfully relieving it.  Stretching the fingers, wrist, and shoulder.  The shoulder seemed to be an important spot...some massage deep in the shoulder on the top and in the front.  I am deciding that  i probably won't be able to accurately describe exactly where all of the manipulation should take place.  Where does she live?  Perhaps I can come and show her. :)  Maybe a massage therapist could work on it.  i am sorry.   Hope she gets some relief.

Laurel
    Happy wife of one fantastic husband
    Joyful mother of 8 wonderful children
    Psalm 111:4
  • 02-14-2009 1:09 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Thanks Laurel,

She lives in Hawaii if you'd like to come and show us your techniques!!  She has tried massage and stretching.  I think we'll have to wait and see if it gets better after birthing.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 02-17-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

Hi April:

Two things:

1. a good Shiatsu practitioner (physical release)

2. tell her to forgive her mother (emotional roots of pain in the hands) 

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog
  • 02-18-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Thanks Gloria,

she has had a couple lomi lomi massages (Hawaiian version of shiatsu) and they do help.  We looked up carpal tunnel in Louise Hay (I carry her book in my prenatal bag) and she said CT's emotional source was frustration at life's injustices (or something close to that) That's very interesting about pain in the hands relating to one's mother.  Very interesting....

Glo, what is your avatar, is it a carrot?  I can't seem to figure it out, do tell.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 02-18-2009 10:16 AM In reply to

I've been waiting for someone to ask.  It's a picture I took of two carrots that are "spooning".  I thought it was so beautiful.  Bought them at an organic farmer's market and came home and photographed the way they were wrapped around each other like a mom/baby.  I didn't have much luck with getting a pic of me but somehow the site accepted the carrots.

I have had great luck with telling people (preg or not) with hand problems that they have to forgive their mother.  It is usually met with deep anger and a declaration "I'LL NEVER FORGIVE MY MOTHER".  About a week later, they phone and say that the pain in their hands is easing and they have moved into at least becoming willing to forgive.  Forgiveness means "giving up wanting to harm oneself or another".  It is a terrible double bind to be in----wanting to harm the source of your life.  The body will reflect the anguish of that mental dichotomy. 

• 03-08-2009 12:13 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Thought I'd update, mama had her baby this week at 39 weeks,  home waterbirth, long labor, anterior lip, irrestible urge to push with lip that would swell.  Tried;  pulsitilla,  caulophylym, traumameel, blowing, positional changes, lobelia, (which I think finally helped) rest etc. etc. Finally, 2 nights of being up were wearing on mama and we tried holding holding back the lip in tub on H&K's and after 15 minutes baby came through cervix and 45 minutes later was born.  Whew.  He was kicking and crying as he emerged , I put him on mama, covered him and looked at mama's yoni, then looked back at him as mama said , 'oh he went to sleep, how cute'.  Sleep, my foot!   He decided to check out! 2 kisses of life and some tactile stim got him crying again, but he had been gray and floppy and gone.  Another good reason to never cut the cord.  He stayed grunty and had retractions for a couple hours but resolved very nicely skin to skin with mama. I have new gray hairs.

Her carpal tunnel is much better now.  I passed on forgiving her mother, which she promptly did, but I think her case was physiologic.  Tumeric really helped.  Her hands look completely different today than last week.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 03-10-2009 6:10 AM In reply to

OHHHHH, how scary April...did he add to your collection of gray hairs...so glad to hear he is OK and mama too.

Mary

• 07-06-2009 1:30 AM In reply to

Congratulations, April.  Good job.

Love Gloria

• 07-06-2009 8:04 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Gloria, where have you been?  Out on the conference /lecture circuit?  I've missed you here.

I would love to attend some of the recharging, motivating, planet shifting gatherings where I see you are a keynote speaker.  Keep up the goodworks Glo!

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein