in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Selma Hayek nurses another mama's baby

Last post 02-13-2009 3:28 PM by paradoxa. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2009 9:00 PM

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Selma Hayek nurses another mama's baby

A friend sent me this link today.  Selma is a true 'celebrity', in my opinion.  That we all would do the right thing in the right moment is really the issue.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1878917,00.html?cnn=yes

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 02-12-2009 10:43 PM In reply to

• sheila
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • vancouver island, BC
    • Posts 9

Re: Selma Hayek nurses another mama's baby

I loved watching that video.  How heartbreaking what is going on with women being pressured not to breastfeed though :(

Sheila - Doula, aspiring Midwife and Mother of 2 little ones
  • 02-13-2009 1:20 AM In reply to

Saw an interesting peice on how colonisation has affected breastfeeding and infant mortality rates.  Traditionally men had several wives and after each baby was born the women returned to thier own families to be looked after and to breastfeed thier babies for about 2 or 3 years.  This had the effect of spacing pregnancies as sex was taboo while breastfeeding.  So mum could rest, build up her health and generally grow a lovely healthy baby.  The other wives would take care of the husbands 'needs' so the woman had no fear that her husband would not be there upon her return.  However once the areas were colonised polygamy became outlawed, but the old taboo on breastfeeding and sex remained, so now the women became fearful to leave thier husbands for too long as they might not be there when they returned.  So babies were weaned much sooner, the women became pregnant much sooner and infant mortality increased dramatically.  Interesting view of things.  Personally there have been times when i wish i'd had a sister wife (one who was good at housework...)Wink

• 02-13-2009 5:57 AM In reply to

• Sibr
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-13-2009
    • Ireland
    • Posts 9

I love the story she tells in the video about her great-grandmother and how her attitude is that she is simply carrying on a family tradition. The article has a link to another about a policewoman in China who breastfed babies orphaned in the May earthquake. True heroines!

Mama to George Bailey (3 Dec 2008)
    It's a Wonderful Life!
  • 02-13-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

That was the first time I had seen/heard of the video. Made me teary, I wish I too could help starving children. I'm proud of her, that baby looked so happy....too bad, he wont have some more to look forward to.

I also had no idea of the belief men share there regarding sex, how unbelievably ignorant.....where did that idea sprout? Amazing!

• 02-13-2009 3:28 PM In reply to

I loved seeing her do that.  It was so normal.  I think it's great to see celebs who are promoting breastfeeding.  

~ Lamaze CBE ~ CNM student ~
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.