in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Seeking Apprenticeship in Naples, Italy

Last post 10-24-2012 12:20 PM by Indigo Babies. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-09-2011 3:30 PM

Seeking Apprenticeship in Naples, Italy

Hello, my name is Alex and I am an aspiring midwife who is living in Naples, Italy for the next 3 years. Is there anyone in the area who speaks English or would be very patient with my horrible Italian, who would be willing to take on an apprentice? Also, I am currently looking at the syllabus provided by the National College of Midwifery because it is really the only way I can start my education overseas. If anyone knows another system that I could use, I would very much appreciate the advice.

Thanks so much,

Alex

• 10-08-2011 7:47 PM In reply to

Re: Seeking Apprenticeship in Naples, Italy

Hi Alex,

I was in your position in Italy 25 years ago - I took the Apprentice Academics, which is now Ancient Arts course. It's hard studying at a distance...

Now I am only in Italy over the summers but I would be happy to meet up with you if possible next summer to see what you're up to and to talk birth in Italy a little. I know that homebirth midwives are much more active and common in central and northern Italy.

I could write to my contacts there with your request...

I'm planning a Birth Retreat next July in Umbria, you may be interested in attending...

In the meantime, what brings you to Naples?

Be well,

Rivka (living in Montreal, but lived and raised four of my children on a small farm in Italy)

Rivka Cymbalist, BA, CD(DONA)
    birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 02-08-2012 11:11 AM In reply to

Hi Rivka,

My name is Maggie, and I am looking into moving to Italy.  I will be a newly certified CPM this year (graduation in June from Birthwise School in Maine) and I will take my NARM in August.  I'm interested in talking with you and learning all I can about out of hospital birth in Italy, practices I could contact, and really, whatever you know that you'd like to share.  It's been hard to get lots of information here in the States about practicing in Italy.  Also my Italian is not super at the moment, I would need a few months in the country to get up to speed so at the moment I can't utilize the sites in Italian very well yet.  

I am also interested in learning more about your Birth Retreat in Umbria.  Is that where you live in the summers? Where can I learn more about the program and dates and cost?  

Thanks so much!  Look forward to hearing from you!

Maggie

Filed under:
  • 03-23-2012 9:33 PM In reply to

Hello Ladies, 

I am wondering if there are any options for clinical internships in Italy. Do any of you know if it is possible and can you direct me to a birth center or midwife to contact.

Thanks

Suzie

• 10-24-2012 12:19 PM In reply to

Hi Alex and Rivka

I am also interested in pursuing the same.  I lived in Italy in 1996 and have been wanting to go back. My Italian needs great improvement (haven't practiced it since i left)., but am very interested in apprenticing with a homebirth midwife or at a birth center.  I am currently enrolled in Institute for Holistic Midwifery.  

Any suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Liz 

• 10-24-2012 12:20 PM In reply to

Hi Suzie, 

Any luck with this? Looking for the same thing. 

Liz 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.