in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Hormones

Last post 09-04-2011 9:31 AM by Aubre. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2011 7:08 PM

• Glenda
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-28-2011
    • Posts 1

Hormones

From a client..."I have a post-partum question. It's been almost 17 months since Jacob was born and I stopped nursing him almost 4 weeks ago. Generally, how long does it take before hormones return to "normal"? I didn't have any post-partum issues with James and I got pregnant so quickly after the other two but it's been 17 months now and I still have massive swings in my energy levels, anxiety, etc. I was really hoping to be feeling normal by now but I honestly still almost feel pregnant, even though I'm not. Every time I have a period or ovulate I have all of my pregnancy symptoms and then they last until the next ovulation or cycle and it just repeats. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted on pregnancy tests because I was 100% sure I was pregant. Anyway, I was just curious because I desperately want to know there is a light at the end of this post-partum tunnel. I don't go in for my annual with the gyno. until December. I'm just afraid they'll recommend the pill or something and I'm not interested in that. Since I stopped nursing, I've started eating really strict and I'm doing some herbal cleanses and I'm desperately trying to get on an excercise regime which is proving more difficult than dieting. Anyway, I didn't know if you'd have any advice." 

Filed under: ,
  • 08-29-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

Re: Hormones

Tell her to go get her thyroid checked.  I was hypothyroid after DD1 and had similar symptoms (slow weight loss, no energy, weird hormonal swings and erroneous pregnancy symptoms).  It's a simple blood test and fairly quick.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 09-04-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

Re: Hormones

I would highly recommend getting your thyroid levels checked.  It is an easy blood test and a commone cause of the symptoms you describe.  If you have developed hypothyroidism, it is something that can be easily treated either through allopathic methods by taking Synthroid or through naturopathic methods.  It is something that is very common in women.

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.