in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Choices to become a midwife

Last post 08-25-2011 6:01 AM by Brlnbabies. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2011 12:01 PM

• Grace
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2011
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 1

Choices to become a midwife

My name is Grace. As of now i have only two more semesters until i finish my AA. My thoughts at first were to go to Trinity College of Natural Health and get a Masters in Herbology after my AA. But after further thinking i didn't know  what i would do after i got it. Then i remembered a few of my friends talking about midwives. At first it was just an answer to an unanswered question...now as i have looked into it more, it looks more and more like something i would enjoy and want to do.

My only problem is that now i am looking to see what to do once i am done with my AA, i have no idea what direction to take. I will still get my masters in herbology, but once im done there...which direction do i take. I have heard that midwives have to become a nurse before they can go to school for midwivery. But i have looked at some of the midwivery colleges and some say you have to have a nursing degree and some say you don't. I know i will need some of the skills but do i really need to have ALL of the schooling and get the degree before i can even look at midwivery colleges?? Or can i just take the classes i need and move on??

Thanks, Grace

• 08-25-2011 6:01 AM In reply to

Re: Choices to become a midwife

Hi, Grace, and welcome!  You may want to try a search of the archives as this is a very popular subject and you may find your answers in previous posts or active ones in here.  Also, try hitting the "main site" button above and going over to the book store where you will find a wonderful little gem to order and have sent to you, Paths to Becoming a Midwife.  I'd also suggest purchasing a subscription to Midwifery Today journal and signing up for the e-newsletter. Yes

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.