in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

How about an introductions thread?

Last post 08-12-2009 8:13 PM by christea. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: How about an introductions thread?

Good to meet all of you,

I'm Laurel, 39 yo, wife of one, mother of 8, stay-at-home, homeschooling, from  a  little town half way between Rochester and Syracause on the thruway in NY.

Could write and write and write about the love i have for babies, pregnant moms, labor/delivery...and postpartum...but I will spare you. Sleep

My first doula-ing (though that term wasn't used at that time) experience  was  20 yrs ago, as i was volunteering at a home for pregnant unwed young ladies.  From that time until present I have been able to minister to dozens (i wish I could say hundreds--someday, maybe) of expecting families.  hospital and homebirths.  also having opportunity to apprentice with a few different midwives, assisting.  

Looking forward to interacting with you all.  Cool

Laurel
    Happy wife of one fantastic husband
    Joyful mother of 8 wonderful children
    Psalm 111:4
  • 02-16-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

I'm Molly and I'm a childbirth educator in a smallish town in central Missouri. I have two sons. The first was born at the only freestanding birth center in the state in 2003 and the second was born at home in 2006 (with only 45 minutes of active labor, two hours total!). I started studying birth in 2001 and sent for information about becoming a childbirth educator then, but having my first baby really lit my fire to pursue birthwork. I enrolled in ALACE's CBE program in 2004, became provisionally certified in 2005, and fully certified in 2006. I also trained as a postpartum doula in 2004 and did that work briefly. I've been trained as a doula as well (ALACE), with no intention of ever actually working as a doula. I love birth education! That is where my heart and passion lie. I also love writing (especially about birth) and have had various articles and essays published in a variety of different places (including, MT of course! :). I'm also editor of the Friends of Missouri Midwives newsletter.

I'm a breastfeeding counselor also (since 2005). I have a special place in my heart for postpartum women and breastfeeding work satsfies that for me.

I've found my niche teaching private birth classes and teach primarily one-on-one in people's homes.

Currently I'm working on switching my certification to ICEA and will take their exam in early March.

I blog about midwifery at CfM and about birth on my CBE website. Oh, and I blog for ICEA too.

That's it for now!

--
    Molly
    Certified Childbirth Educator
    http://talkbirth.wordpress.com
  • 02-16-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

I'm a recovering Yankee!

Jessica wrote: Is it me that there are owner/s, admin/s, mod/s whom have no clue on how to run forum???

Gee, Jessica, we're trying!  Just getting used to these new boards and how they work, etc.  If we're still clueless in a few weeks, you can put the dunce cap on us then. Confused Hmm

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-18-2009 6:34 AM In reply to

HI Holly, I'm in Lincoln. There is a DONA doula training at the end of this month in Omaha????

Glad you found your way here!

Mary

• 02-18-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Hi Holly!

I'm here in Lincoln working as an aspiring birth and postpartum doula.  I'll actually be in Omaha for the birth training at the end of the month (Hi Mary!!),  Nice to meet you!!

Mandi
  • 02-18-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• deedee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-18-2009
    • Posts 1

hi, i was on the boards before but can't remember my username - i didn't think the forums would ever come back!

I'm mum to 4 littlies. My last was born at home in our kitchen. I'm a doula/birth attendant and teach CBE whenever i am called to it.

I enjoyed the old boards looking forward to seeing this new phase take off.

Cheers

Dee

• 02-19-2009 7:06 AM In reply to

• Rebekah C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2009
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 2

Hi, I'm new here.  My name is Rebekah and I'm 28yrs old.  I've been married 9yrs to Tony and we have 2 little girls and another babe coming sometime in August.  I'm a freelance Doula and an aspiring midwife (someday!). I don't have a ton of experience yet attending births, I've only attended three.  I'm always wanting to learn more so here I am!

~Rebekah Costello
    A Wife and Mom to 2 little girls
    Expecting a 3rd in Aug 09
    Aspiring midwife, freelance doula
  • 02-20-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

Hi everyone! I'm Kacy, a 22-year old student nurse in Virginia. My fiancé and I will be getting married in two weeks! I hope to start doula or lactation consultant training after I graduate and someday start training to be a midwife. I'm very interested in homebirth and waterbirth. I'm really excited to get to meet you all and learn from you!

• 02-22-2009 8:06 PM In reply to

Hello there to everyone here

I'm Connie, 21-year old mother to a 2-year old girl who was born in a hospital waterbirth tub with two wonderful CNM's.  I am training as a doula through CBI and I will begin my apprenticeship with a CPM in about a month.  I have only attended 3 births as of now and I am totally ecstatic to be diving into an apprenticeship where knowledge, hard work, and experience will come flying at me faster than I probably think!!

Very excited to join this community, if I ever get the time to log on...

:-)

mother to a shining precious one
    and beginning my midwifery apprenticeship in March!
  • 03-04-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

• AmyinOR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-28-2009
    • Southern Oregon
    • Posts 2

Hi all!  It's so nice to have the boards back up and going.

I was Gentlebirthmama on the old forums.  I was a Bradley Method instructor from 1993 - 2008 and labor assisted during that time also.  Last year I took a long hiatus from my teaching and doula work because of issues at home.  I'm now considering pursuing a certification through ICEA and getting back into teaching and the letting the passion of my heart out again!  It truly is not possible to stop that passion from coming back out.  Wink

I am having trouble with my profile so we'll see if it's all messed up on here.  I can't seem to get anything to save that I add.  Oh well, I will keep trying if it didn't come out right!

Bradley Method instructor from 1993-2008
    Doula since 1993
    Pursuing childbirth certification thru ICEA

""There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it." ~Sheryl Feldman
  • 03-09-2009 12:57 PM In reply to

Hi

I am 36, Mother of 3 children, Thom who is almost 11, Libby who is almost 6, and our boy Mica who is almost 2. All were born at home, and Mica was born in the water, too.

I am a doula and fertility awareness teacher. i also educate my children at home.

We live in London though I am originally from Israel.

That's all for now

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 03-19-2009 4:58 PM In reply to

Hi everyone!

Mary pointed me over here (Thank YOU!)

My name is Vanessa and I'm a doula and Hypnobabies teacher in the Pittsburgh area. I'm hoping that when my kids are older, the environment will be a little friendlier to CPMs where I live and I will have an opportunity to train to and attend births as a midwife. In the meantime I'm studying Massage Therapy and Hypnotherapy along with a bit of EFT.

I recently attended my 6th birth and I never cease to be affected by each one as it happens. They are all so special to me. When I see that people have attended dozens or hundreds, I wonder how their heart must have grown to make room for all of those special families! I'm looking forward to having an enormous heart someday :)

Peace,
    Vanessa

Hypnobabies Instructor, Doula and student of massage and hypno therapies
  • 03-19-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

YAY, Welcome...this place will ease your soul!

Mary

• 03-20-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

Hi my name is Cindy. I am Mom to 4, and expecting #5 in September. I live in Quebec, Canada and am happy to have the opportunity to birth at home with midwives. My 1st was born in a hospitalSad My 2nd was supposed to be born in a different hospital, but he flew out of me on the living room floor! (Awesome!!!) My 3rd was born at a birthing centre with midwives (beautiful birth, before homebirth was insured), and my 4th was born at home (midwives didn't make it in time - the best yet!)  I love to read about natural birth, and I have taken one doula course, but I haven't had the time to be with more than one woman for her birth. I am considering taking courses to become a childbirth educator, and one day when the kids are older, I could get into doula-ing more. Long term dreams include seeing my own children becoming parents, and birthing their own babies, and Christian missionary work, especially working with moms and babies in poor villages. For right now, I am raising my kids, and reading, reading, reading!

Blessings, everyone!

~Cindy

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.