in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

experienced homebirth midwife wanting to volunteer with traditional midwives

Last post 09-19-2012 10:58 AM by Syracusedoula. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2011 9:04 PM

experienced homebirth midwife wanting to volunteer with traditional midwives

my midwife sisters, i would love to volunteer and share experiences, stories and knowledge with traditional midwives in places that may need support. I have looked and read and looked more and can find lots of volunteer positions available for training midwives with often large costs, and ive also seen positions for expereinced midwives in hospital with technocratic focus but not for practicing midwives with homebirth experience although im sure i could do good work somewhere.

i have been working in new zealand  as a  registered homebirth midwife for 8 years (where we live). i also have expereince in tertiary (obstetric/hospital care) and primary birthing unit care - any ideas and suggestions would be warmly welcomed and i can answer any qestions if more info is needed - thanks mela

• 06-11-2011 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: experienced homebirth midwife wanting to volunteer with traditional midwives

Hi Mela. Are you well?

Interesting to read you request........I am in the process of fundraising and then building (hopefully in September/October) a maternity clinic in rural Southwestern Uganda. Next year in about April I will hopefully have it more or less up and running. Initially I will provide antenatal care and workshops for TBA's only but my goal is to also have low-risk women birth in the clinic. 

At the moment I am still working and living on the westcoast in Greymouth. I will go to Uganda in August. I do need people to help me with fundraising in NZ and I need volunteers in Uganda. You will be meeting and maybe working with TBA's and you will conduct workshops for local women and possibly TBA's. We possibly will be visiting the pygmees as they live relatively nearby. 

If you like to know more you could email me on okuzala.uganda@gmail.com

Cheers

Smile always :)

• 06-26-2011 11:45 PM In reply to

• Laxmi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Kathmandu, Nepal
    • Posts 10

Re: experienced homebirth midwife wanting to volunteer with traditional midwives

Dear Mela,

My name is Laxmi Tamang from Nepal. I'm one of the founding member of the first and only nurse-midwives led independent birthing centre in Nepal and the Midwifery Society of Nepal, established in 2007 and 2010 respectively.

Actually, we are struggling for the sustainability of our birthing centre because we are not donor funded. During the establishment of the birthing centre each of 11 nurse members contributed US $ 1333 to set up the birthing centre. We had registered our birthing centre as a social enterprise and have very good cooperation and collaboration with the government of Nepal. We provide free of cost maternity care to all women who come to give birth in our centre. We provide whole range of sexual and reproductive health services to urban poor families. These include family planning, antenatal care, delivery, postnatal care, safe abortion care, immunisation, STI treatment and management, etc.

Since May this year Julie-Ann Dowdel, an Australian Midwife is helping us volunteering her time in our centre and at the same time carrying out her research on the perspective of consumers, staff and others towards the birthing centre.

I would appreciate if you could help us.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Laxmi Tamang, RN, MPH
    Founding member
    Midwifery Society of Nepal
    and
    Founding Manager
    APS Birthing Centre
    Khashi Bazar, Kalanki, Kathmandu-14
    PO Box 8975, EPC 2946
    Kalanki, Kathmandu, Nepal
    Email: laxtshering@yahoo.com
    Blog: http//www.laxmitamang.blogspot.com
  • 09-17-2012 1:17 PM In reply to

Laxmi, I would have been interested too until I read "safe abortion care, immunisation". 

If those policies change or have changed or or open to changing, let me know. I'm also interested in volunteering to work in a birth center. Nepal or India are both options for me, but I very strongely feel as a midwife to follow the tenet "first do no harm."

• 09-19-2012 10:58 AM In reply to

Apprentice Midwife.
    Homeschooling mom of four with another on the way.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.