in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

direct-entry programs

Last post 07-25-2009 6:59 PM by MotherNurtured. 61 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

• Jenni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-05-2009
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 22

Re: direct-entry programs

My problem with MCU is that I have e-mailed them four (4) times to ask about taking their anatomy course as a continuing ed course, but no one has acknowledged my e-mails! Not a good sign, IMO.

doula-in-training, aspiring midwife
  • 02-27-2009 12:33 PM In reply to

I'm so sorry, Jenni. That's very frustrating. Usually, they're very prompt with emails. We have a conference coming up and maybe that has everyone a bit behind. I don't have your direct email to reference, but I'll try to bring this to their attention. The anatomy course is very good. I took it my first semester.

Sherry S. Rumsey
    Student Midwife, MCU
  • 02-27-2009 12:49 PM In reply to

• Jenni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-05-2009
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 22

Thank you, Sherry. I really appreciate that.

I sent the first three e-mails months and months ago. I sent the fourth one about a week ago. I used the e-mail address listed on their website. I'd hate to give up on it because I need to take a course that will satisfy Birthingway's A&P prerequisite, and it would be great if that course came from a midwifery school.   

doula-in-training, aspiring midwife
  • 03-05-2009 9:43 AM In reply to

I've been racking my brain over DEM education for about 2yrs now. You see I have the GI Bill (VA education) from being in the military. The only program I knew that was approved for the GI Bill was Frontier...until yesterday. Then I learned BirthingWay in Portland, OR is approvedBig Smile!!! However they don't offer distance-learning Sad and while I would uproot my family in a second to move from Delaware to Orgeon it's just not realistic. My DH is born and raised here but more then that he's been teaching for the same district for 15yrs. Nevertheless here's the clincher of the GI Bill, I have to use it by Oct 2012 because my benefits expire then, wheter I have used them all by then or not. It is HORRIBLY frustrating!

Meanwhile I've enrolled in a local community college in a nursing program - puke! It's a great nursing program for those who want to be a nurse. I'm only into my first semester taking A&P. Fortunately some courses from my AA degree in baking and pastry transfer - giving a shout out to Baltimore International College here!

I've found a preceptor (Susan DiNatale) that is willing to take me on when I'm ready, she lives only a mere 15mins away. There is another preceptor (Karen Webster) that lives an hour away and is an approved preceptor for the National College of Midwifery

I know I don't have to use my GI Bill for midwifery education to become a midwife but I feel I'm wasting my time by being in the nursing program because I don't want to be a nurse-midwife. I've been planning to do the PEP pathway to become a CPM. Though it would be real nice if I could use my GI Bill for what I want. I really don't want to take out another student loan. Even though when I went to culinary college I used my GI Bill it wasn't enough. The GI Bill only gives you so much per month, regardless if the college is an inexpensive community college or Standford. I ended up taking out about $12K in loans. I wish I could just apply the $20,000 I have left in my GI Bill towards my loan. Bastards.

I digress, with BirthingWay being approved for the GI Bill it gives me tremendous hope that I can get a distance learning MEAC college approved. I'm relentless and I will hound the GI Bill to no end, even if takes calling them every day.

So now I need to call the two MEAC distance learning colleges to let them know BirthingWay got approved for the GI Bill and see how I can get them approved :O) Waiting to hear back from BirthingWay to find out what they did to get approved.

If anyone has ANY insight to this please help! Thanks!

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-05-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

• Hypnomama
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-28-2009
    • Kitsap Peninsula, WA
    • Posts 20

Cindy,

Seattle Midwifery has a low residency program...  may be worth looking into?

Good luck!

Warmly,
    Alex
  • 03-07-2009 11:50 AM In reply to

Is anyone considering the National Midwifery Institute? Love to hear your thoughts!

"Above all, I wanted to implant the secret of love in your hearts. I hoped to teach you to be brothers to all living things, and to become so full of love that you will not fear even sorrow and death and receive them like brothers and sisters as they come to you."
    --Hermann Hesse, 'Peter Camenzind'
  • 03-07-2009 3:55 PM In reply to

• CTaymor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2009
    • SF Bay Area
    • Posts 11

I wasn't originally, the fact that you have to pay 10 dollars for their information booklet really turned me off. A lot of the local student midwives seem to be doing NMI though, so I'm considering it again. It seemed pretty good, other than the cost, and that I didn't like the idea of paying to learn more about the school. I understand paying to cover the cost of the booklet and the shipping for a small organization, but I can't imagine how it costs 10 dollars. But I'm considering it again. I just don't know.

I'm also looking at Ancient Arts Midwifery Institute. Its not MEAC accredited, but I've heard a LOT of good things about it from students. I just haven't talked to any midwives who are practicing who went there. which I'd like to do with any program before I deicde on one.

~Aspiring Midwife~Looking into training options and learning like a sponge~
  • 03-08-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

I was also taken back by the idea of paying for more info, but that set aside, I think it sounds like a great program. As far as tuition goes, since it includes preceptor fees, it seems to be one of the cheapest MEAC programs I can find (about the same price as the National College of Midwifery when all the preceptor fees are paid, and only second to AAMI as far as I've found... right?).

I've also looked into AAMI... everyone raves about it and it's the most affordable program by far. It sounds wonderful. But even though I understand the reasons for not applying for MEAC accredidation, I can't help but think that this will put limits on where I can practice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since I want to travel and have the best chance of legally working in the most places, I think I should aim for MEAC only schools. That's my main concern with AAMI. I've heard of well seasoned CPMs studying through AAMI because it's so fabulous.. maybe I'll end up going that route.

My head is spinning trying to narrow it all down... at this point I'm mainly looking at NCM and NMI... and yet everything else!! Hopefully I'll leave the pre-conference with a definite choice... until then, these forums are my refuge!!

"Above all, I wanted to implant the secret of love in your hearts. I hoped to teach you to be brothers to all living things, and to become so full of love that you will not fear even sorrow and death and receive them like brothers and sisters as they come to you."
    --Hermann Hesse, 'Peter Camenzind'
  • 03-08-2009 2:13 PM In reply to

• Naomi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • Posts 1

I had the same feelings of being a bit off put by the idea of paying for more information but it does seem like it would be a good program. I really had my heart set on AAMI, but I'm a bit concerned about the MEAC accredidation. I do like the idea of still studying through AAMI later on though.

• 03-08-2009 9:56 PM In reply to

Hi everyone out there wanting to be midwives.  We need you.  I wanted to interject some points here.  First I worked as a direct entry MW for a few years.  I am retired now   I had kids in the really bad old days when women got knocked out with some anesthesia and then the hugh epis and baby jerked out with the salad spoons.  I am also a nurse and when I saw that that routine at my OB rotation,I knew that was not going to happen to me.So in the 60's women kicked and bit to change things. [ We were called hippys cause we didn't do as we were told most of the time]So fast foward to late 80's and I worked in a small hosp.in OB. We had a great Dr. who knew how to care for the women who needed to se a Dr.  We did a fine job of letting women birth like adults human beings.  They we got the new Dr. who brought with them all the big bag of tricks to make the folks happier,birth no pain and not mess up your hair or makeup,and all births were planned inductions so the babies were born late afternoon.  I also taught birthing classes.  I retired because I could not tell women that they were powerful and able and born to birth and watch the C/S rate rise to 20% in two years[It is now 10yrs later > 30%] 

So by a twist of fate I started helping an Amish mw and she said to me one day.  "you are not going to be a midwife someday,you are  a midwife."  I felt this great ah ha moment.  She was right.  I knew that I knew when things weren't ok,I knew  what to do and I surely wasn't doing these women any harm.  The hardest thing was to trust the system. My nurse thing would come around to bite me in the butt occasionally. I still have talks with myself.  Some of my talks go"self,why are we doing this? What are we going to learn from it ?. Is it going to change the outcome?  Do we need to change the outcome?  Does the women and her family want to change the outcome?"  A couple times I have thought"what in h*%% am I doing here!!"lol 

So ofr me,I could not go to a licensure program.  I can not do what I am told like a good girl.  and a pox on ACOG,AMA,and any of they -of- them who like to have important sounding initials.   Birth is women's work.  It is a service/blessing we do with other women. [whew,I know there are some male midwives,and some Dr. who love birth and trust it And I am not putting you down]

If you are planning on being a midwife in your future,read and study with people who know how to trust their body.  Lean on the collective knowledge of the millions of women who came before us.  I believe midwifery is a calling.  Either you is or you ain't..

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-08-2009 11:30 PM In reply to

Thanks so much claudiaToms!

-- "A mystery is a truth which lies beyond us. It can be entered into, explored, inhabited even; but it can never be exhausted or fathomed. Our age dislikes intensely the idea of mystery, because it directly exposes our limitations"
  • 03-08-2009 11:36 PM In reply to

It was my understanding that taking an MEAC program is just one way to make certain you get the qualified coursework and hands-on experience that you will need to pass the NARM.  Passing the NARM is what qualifies you for most licenses here in the States, NOT attending an MEAC program.  You could, theoretically do a self study and apprenticeship and as long as you have taken some supplemental courses, can sit for the NARM. 

I hope someone can clarify this for me if I am totally mistaken!

-- "A mystery is a truth which lies beyond us. It can be entered into, explored, inhabited even; but it can never be exhausted or fathomed. Our age dislikes intensely the idea of mystery, because it directly exposes our limitations"
  • 03-09-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Claudia, thank you.  Its nice to hear another perspective.  In a way, I hate jumping through hoops too.   So are you saying you're a lay midwife?  Did you take the NARMs or were you trained exclusively through your book reading and apprenticeship?  I'm not sure how it works in Michigan, but in NY, all licensed midwives, whether DEM or CNM have to have a bachelor's degree, use an approved midwifery program, and take the state boards to become a CM (direct entry midwife) or CNM.  I'm an LPN, which would be a great complement to midwifery, but I don't have a degree, not even an associates.  I chose the LPN route not because I couldn't handle anything more acedemically, but because I didn't want to be committed to a 2 or 4 year program (I was engaged and wanted to save up money) to become an RN.  And so I worked for a year and a half instead of continuing on another year to get my RN (associates).  In retrospect, I may have done things differently, but hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it.  :-) In a way I'd love to just study midwifery and not worry about the rules, but then I'd worry about what would happen to my family if I was caught practicing without a license. :-/  Grrr.

If you have any insight on the benefits/risks of lay midwifery (which, essentially I would be in NY even if I was a CPM, as NY does not recognize CPMs), I'd love to hear it.  Maybe over in the legal battle and birth politics board?

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 03-09-2009 8:09 AM In reply to

I am studying through AAMI and apprenticing simultaneously.... I am VERY happy with this path. 

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-09-2009 8:30 AM In reply to

the NARM exam is not automatic liscensure anywhere...you have to apply if your state accepts it.

It's a way for midwives who are not nurses to establish their knowledge at an "entry-level". It was created BY non-nurse midwives as a common ground that all could agree was a basic level of knowledge needed to practice safely. In a way, it's the previous generation of "lay" midwives saying this is what we feel is the necessary basis for good midwifery. It was a way to create respect among our culture's taste for "papers" and facilitate the acceptance of midwives state by state in providing a way to evaluate the base knowledge of direct-entry midwives.

I have trained exclusively through apprenticeship and independant-study, and I can still qualify to take the NARM exam. That's the beauty of it--it's just a way of standardizing the preparedness and qualifications regardless of how you did your training!! It doesn't necessarilly make you legal, it may be a purely personal standard for you to reach to say "i've gotten there" even tho we never stop learning and will never know everything, we at least know "enough". It's a benchmark if you want a goal to reach for.

Page 3 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.