in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Travelling Midwifery

Last post 12-12-2013 8:13 PM by midwifejenny. 95 replies.
Page 6 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-26-2012 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: Travelling Midwifery

I'll be having my baby in early April 2013(at least that's when our due date is).We are living in Florence, Italy and I am having a very hard time finding a midwife here. I would love to have an English speaking midwife as well(though I do speak Italian well- English is my first language!). Let me know if you or any other resources you may have could possibly help. Thanks!

• 11-26-2012 11:46 AM In reply to

Hi Kristina,

I know that there used to be a couple of midwives in Florence that spoke English. But if you are looking for a mother tongue English speaker, you would have to look for a foreign midwife. You could either in this case hire a travelling midwife from the States or Canada (me!) or you look look for a British midwife who lives in Italy (I know of two).

What is your story - where are you from, is this your first child? Where are you in Florence ie, in town or not?

Hope that helps - please let me know if you want more info,

Be well,

Rivka

Rivka Cymbalist, BA, CD(DONA)
    birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 11-27-2012 9:56 AM In reply to

Hi Rivka,

Thanks so much for your quick response! Here is a little background: I am from California. This is our first child. I'm 32 years old and in great health. Everything has gone very well in my pregnancy. All of my tests are normal (blood, urine, Ultra sound etc.) I am 15 min. outside of Florence in the country. I want to do everything naturally as I know my body and I are capable of this. I would love to deliver in a birthing center(although, I have toyed with the idea of a home birth) as I am wary of hospitals. 

I think that the main issue would be that whomever I hire(you or someone else) must speak English AND Italian because if I do have to deliver in the hospital, I want them to be able to converse with the OB's. I want my midwife to be on the same page as me and be able to convey my birth plan to them. I am pretty sure that I will have to break quite a few rules there(for example, I don't want to cut the cord right away etc.) and I don't want to feel alone in discussing all of this with them, especially when I am trying to focus on delivering a baby!

So, this is where I'm at. Let's talk further to discuss possibilities.

Talk soon,

Kristina

• 11-29-2012 11:50 AM In reply to

Hi Kristina,

Please email me privately at montrealdoula@yahoo.com

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 01-04-2013 12:16 AM In reply to

Hi Kristina,

I hope you have had a good holiday season. 

I would be very interested in talking to you about your options. I am fluent in Italian and have experience with the Italian hospital system. Are you thinking about a home birth? Have you found a midwife yet?

We lived in Fiesole for a couple of years before moving to Umbria - are you that side of Florence?

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Be well,

Rivka

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
    Filed under: , ,
  • 02-27-2013 6:22 AM In reply to

Hi Majikfairie,

I currently work as an Independent midwife in the UK but will be available for travel from October 2013. Would love to hear more about your current experiences. Which countries have you been to? What was it like? Greetings

Filed under: ,
  • 02-27-2013 6:24 AM In reply to

Hi Majikfairie,

I currently work as an Independent midwife in the UK but will be available for travel from October 2013. Would love to hear more about your current experiences. Which countries have you been to? What was it like? Greetings

Filed under: , ,
  • 02-27-2013 6:25 AM In reply to

Wish I could help you Kristina but am fully booked in April. wishing you well in finding the right support for this birth. Anja

• 02-28-2013 11:19 AM In reply to

Hello Kristina,

Have you found a midwife in the mean time?

I am a homebirth midwife in Germany and I'm free to travel around the time you are due, but I do not speak Italian.

Best regards to you and everybody else on here - hi, Anja!! -

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 06-12-2013 8:05 AM In reply to

I am putting together travelingmidwives.org  - it will be a listing for traveling midwives and the goal is to connect families with midwives. If you have any input or would like to be listed, please contact me.  The site should be up in mid to late summer.

-Rachel

• 06-12-2013 8:30 AM In reply to

Can we email you privately?

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 06-12-2013 9:27 AM In reply to

montrealdoula:

Can we email you privately?

Yes!  Rachel <at> travelingmidwives < dot > org

Thanks

• 06-17-2013 2:22 PM In reply to

The idea to create a website to bring families looking for a midwife and travelling midwives together is really great! Lots of luck with it!

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 07-08-2013 1:16 AM In reply to

Hi Kristina,

Are you still looking for a midwife? Please email me privately at montrealdoula at yahoo dot com, and I can call you if you wish (I am in Italy now).

Thanks,

Rivka

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 11-25-2013 3:57 PM In reply to

I live in Northern Alberta Canada and there are no midwives in my area to assist with the birth of my first child. The closest midwife is in the nearest major city which is 5 hours away and it is virtually impossible to get in is as there is a long waiting list.  I'm due near the end of March (24th) and would love to have a home birth assisted by a midwife. If anyone has time as is willing to travel I would be forever greatful.

Page 6 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.