in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Travelling Midwifery

Last post 12-12-2013 8:13 PM by midwifejenny. 95 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2010 5:57 AM In reply to

Re: Travelling Midwifery

In most cases you'd probably need to be okay with practicing unlicensed. In some 3rd world countries, a credential from a 1st world country may be accepted.

as to prenatal care - I do as much as possible by phone and email before arriving, and refer mamas to get tests done if indicated with a local Dr or private clinic. So I do mnage to build at least some level of rapport and connection. It's not ideal, but for many women living in areas where there are no other options than going to a hospital with 80-90% c/ rate, it's better than nothing. And as I generally plan to arrive to the mama's home at around 37 weeks and staying either with her or very nearby, we have a LOT of time one-on-one to "catch up" and get to know one another and feel comfortable.

I am generally able to bring / source there everything I need and mama needs for prenatal, birth and postpartum.

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 06-06-2010 6:39 AM In reply to

Thanks for this wonderful information!

Ingrid

Compassion is the deepest form of memory.
    -Eve Ensler
  • 06-22-2010 3:42 AM In reply to

Hi there!  This thread has me intrigued and hopeful.  Any chance you've had any experience helping anyone birth in Bali?  Also, have you ever assisted in a twin birth?  Looking forward to hearing :)

• 10-26-2010 8:55 AM In reply to

This is a great thread!

I am an expectant mother in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA area. CNM's are able to legally attend births here, without an agreement from a doctor (as of this past legislative session, taking effect this past July). I would love to have a home birth with a CNM, but there are currently no CNM's providing home births on this side of the state. Would any of you traveling CNM's be interested in coming to South Dakota around the end of March to attend my birth?

sycamoretrueblue [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks!

Laura Jean
  • 10-27-2010 5:44 AM In reply to

I have some, in France, Switzerland and Germany. It was fun and now I am back in the US I am missing those days:)

www.birtharts.com
    www.heartofherbs.com
  • 12-07-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

I'm nearing the time when my children are old enough to live independently.  I'd always promised myself that I'd go travelling and practice my craft abroad.  I'm intrigued as to whether you carry ocytocic drug for the management of postpartum haemorrhage and if so how do you source them?

• 12-07-2010 4:44 PM In reply to

I don't carry pharmaceutical oxytocics, but I do carry herbs.

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 12-08-2010 12:23 AM In reply to

• mangaP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • An American living in India
    • Posts 23

Yes I would absoluetly want to carry an ocytocic drug for any birth I was attending. If I was traveling to help a family with their birth and it was a one time thing, I would and have carried it with me (sourced from my normal source in the US) If I was going to be helping with lots of births in a location I would find a local source. In a developing country, Pitocin is usually available over the counter at most pharmacys.

Where are you thinking of going?

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in peoples minds."
    - Samuel Adams
  • 12-08-2010 4:32 AM In reply to

I was just thinking of just packing up and setting off where the wind takes me but I recently came across the Mother Courage blogs from Serbia and as I have a friend over there was thinking of planting myself in Southern Europe for a while.  My Serbian is dreadful but I'm learning!

• 12-08-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

• Shakti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2009
    • Serbia
    • Posts 4

Muliebrity, I live in Serbia!! It will be so great to meet you! We have only one home birth midwife here in belgrade for whole country, but she didn't resonate with me when I was seeking home birth midwife 4 years ago, so I decided to have UC birth. Twice :) But, I am greatful that we have her so couples who don't want to go to hospital could choose her. Everything you read on Mother Courage Blog is true and so sad. I work with pregnant moms like prenatal yoga teacher and study for doula via Childbirth International. When you decide to come to Serbia please let me know! We will improve your Serbian! :)

• 12-08-2010 4:12 PM In reply to

Zdravo Shakti!

Thank you so much for your reply. It'll be about 5 or 6 years till I'm able to move over there but I'm thinking of coming over next year for a few weeks just to get a feel for your country.  I'd love to offer a safe and real alternative to the horrific obstetric experiences I read about.  I'm in the process of doing a yoga for pregnancy course and I'm qualified to practise aromatherapy and reflexology too.  It'd be wonderful to team up with you and see what package of care we could offer to Beograd's new mamas and papas.

Take care and hopefully speak soon.

• 12-29-2010 4:52 AM In reply to

I am not a midwife but searching for a midwife to attend my hbac at the end of June.  Is anybody interested/capable of traveling to Southern Japan for it?  Or can you direct me to another place I can start looking?  Thank you!

• 12-29-2010 5:14 PM In reply to

Dear Jenn,

I might possibly be able and interested in travelling to Japan to attend your hbac. I am a German homebirth midwife and experienced in attending hbac. Feel free to get in touch and ask any questions you'd like to know.

Kind regards,

Nina Rinkes

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 01-05-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

Dear Jenn,

I answered your e-mail right after you sent it, but have not heard back from you again, so just wanted to make sure that you received the e-mail and that it did not end in your junk mail or so. If you did not get it, let me know and I'll send it again.

All the best,

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 01-06-2011 6:39 AM In reply to

Nina,

that is terrible news!!! I replied the same day and wrote quite a long mail....I just assumed the dates weren't going to work.  Let me see what I can figure out.  How would it be best to contact you?

My apologies, Jenn

sorry, reread your post and now I see what you actually wrote...no, I did not receive your reply.  Not sure what happened. Please try and send it again and let me know once you have sent if off.

Page 4 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.