in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

menstrual blood clots

Last post 03-31-2011 9:50 AM by midwifea. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2011 8:26 AM

menstrual blood clots

Hi! 

I have 28 day cycles.  I have some cramping as my flow starts.  I have a moderate to heavy flow and I am looking for opinions about whether I should be worried about menstrual blood clots.  

I am 28 years old and have had no pregnancies.  My flow has always included some clotting, but over the past few years it seems like the clots have increased.  My flow is also heavier now than it was in my early 20's.  The clots vary in size and are a rich bright red-- the same color as the rest of my bleeding. 

Over the past couple of years I have been actively healing from early childhood sexual trauma and experiencing a renaissance of healthy sexuality.  Last weekend I reached a new stage of healing and forgiveness (I mention this bc of sexuality/ hormones / menstruation connections).  

The clots don’t typically bother me in anyway-- I am sort of fascinated by them-- they are gelatinous and wet and rich and red and mysterious, but last night I had one that was a little unusual.  When on my flow I typically sleep in certain clothes that I are okay to be stained because I don’t sleep with tampons and I don’t like a bunch of stuff bunched around my period vagina at night.  I woke last night and realized that my flow was going strong and I needed to get up and do something.  I stood up and changed my pants for an absorbent towel around my waist.  When I got up this morning I saw that in changing clothes I had dripped a little blood on a sweatshirt- and a clot too.  a big clot.  Its about 2 inches long and as big around as my pinkie.  

My gut says that this is just where I am in my cycle and my life-- strong, animalistic, and flowing but my gut also says that sometimes it exists in a vacuum and I should investigate what blood clots can mean or be a symptom of.    

I don’t have access to useful well woman care (I live in a desert of empowered/ holistic health care) and I refuse "health care"  that is neither healthy or caring, so this forum is the most I am going to get it "checked out"  

Maybe this blood clot is just helping me wake up to myriad of things I wish were different (like easy access to knowledgeable, experienced, useful healthcare) and is helping to fuel the "get on becoming a midwife" fire under my booty?  Are there other things I should watch out for that would mean 'something is wrong'?  

Thanks much,

Katherine

Filed under: ,
  • 03-31-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: menstrual blood clots

Katherine,

without really sitting down and examining the 'whole' aspect of your health it is hard to say if anything is 'wrong', but in the spiritual sense, nothing is ever wrong....  Perhaps it is just healthy by product of all your healings coupled with the fact that you have have good clotting blood.To me it sounds perfectly normal that you are fascinated by them.  It sounds as if you have really come to know your cycles and body  I would say continue on with your healing, examine your diet and exorcize patterns.  Embrace your healthy sex life.  Love your uterus.  If your blood flow makes you anemic or there is extreme pain then there might be something to address, health wise. I am proud of you for  writing here and taking your emotional and physical health into your own hands and heart and your gut. 

Acupuncture and herbs have always helped me with a heavy flow.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein