in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Education Requirement for New York License?

Last post 04-08-2011 6:03 PM by the_mother_tree. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2011 8:32 PM

Education Requirement for New York License?

Hi all!

I live in New York State, and I'm starting my journey to midwifery.  I'm nearly certain that I would like to work toward the CPM credential instead of the CNM credential--I want to be a midwife first, and should I decide to add nursing later, well that's fine too.  :-)

Ok, New York State licenses only CNMs and CMs.  According to CfM, I can get the CPM credential and then pursue a license as an LM if I get "midwifery education at a NYS approved midwifery school."  CfM seems to imply that some MEAC-accredited schools are NYS-approved (http://cfmidwifery.org/states/states.aspx?ST=NY), but for the life of me, I can't figure out which!  I've just spent the last hour looking on the NYS Office of Professions website...  no dice.

I know there are some CPMs working in New York State.  I don't know if they're working on a provisional license until they can attend the SUNY Downstate CM program in Brooklyn, or if they're already licensed and practicing as LMs.

So, does anyone know if any MEAC-accredited programs are approved by NYS for the education requirement for the license?  If so, which ones?  If not, what else will I need to do after getting a CPM to practice in New York?

Thanks in advance for your advice, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.  :-)

Nicole

• 03-20-2011 7:48 PM In reply to

Re: Education Requirement for New York License?

I would recommend contacting NYSALM (New York State Association of Licensed Midwives) with questions specific to NY:

http://www.nysalm.org/

Apprentice Midwife.
    Homeschooling mom of four with another on the way.
  • 03-25-2011 5:12 AM In reply to

From what I understand,  the Board of Midwifery is determining this on a case-by-case basis--there is no real list.  Isn't that convenient for the Board of Midwifery?  I have heard of several students who have attended the same school--some have gotten a license and some have not.  I think you can keep looking, but I think the answer is not as cut and dry as you would like it to be.  And, as time goes by--if it hasn't happened already, there will soon be a law that to get your Midwifery license in NY you will need a Master's Degree.  It is becoming more and more difficult to obtain your license here.

• 04-08-2011 6:03 PM In reply to

Sorry for the delay in response...  I've been away from my computer. 

Thanks for the advice, it's spot on and very helpful.  I will definitely contact NYSALM.  A little disappointing to hear that NYS does not have a supportive climate for midwifery practice...  but then again, what states do (not necessarily a rhetorical question!)?

I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about getting an education...  whether I should get a degree (ASM or BSM) or whether I can do an MEAC program.  Or maybe I'm confused--are there any MEAC programs which confer degrees?  Or are they only preparation to sit for the CPM exam?

Bureaucracy drives me crazy, seriously.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.