in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

wanting to pursue a career as a midwife

Last post 02-28-2011 8:08 PM by courtneylee. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-28-2011 6:16 PM

wanting to pursue a career as a midwife

Ok, so i have so many questions i dont know where to start..  but basically i am a junior in highschool and i have always been interested in a career with babies in the medical field.  I have always been fascinated with birth and its miracles that women face.  so i was just wondering what is the most rewarding thing about your career?  I do not know anyone in this field so this is the only place i could talk to actual people with experience as a midwife.  Also what type of schooling or courses do you have to take? Could you become a RN then pursue midwifery?

This year is the most important year of my highschool career so i am really trying to figure out what i want to do with the rest of my life and how to reach my goals so any advice would be appreciated! :)

Filed under:
  • 02-28-2011 7:34 PM In reply to

Re: wanting to pursue a career as a midwife

First, don't fall for the hype that your Junior year is the most important year of your high school years.  You may not know what do with the rest of your life until your in your 30s ... possibly 40s.  Some people know early, others tweak it later in life, and others don't find what their shtick is until much later.  Don't buy into the guidance counselors' ... meconium.

You can become an RN and then go on to get an advanced degree, becoming a certified nurse midwife.  You could choose to become a certified professional midwife w/o becoming an RN.  Try going to the MANA website (Midwives Alliance of North America www.mana.org) for more info.  Go poke around the Midwifery Today main site and see if you can purchase a wonderful little gem called Paths to Becoming a Midwife.  Devour it. Cool

Find out who the midwives are in your area and interview them, sit down with them and ask them what their journey has been.  Hanging with some midwives will give you a good idea of what their education and training has been.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-28-2011 8:08 PM In reply to

Re: wanting to pursue a career as a midwife

thank you.. ill definitely look into that book at some point and as for finding a midwife in my area, should i go through my local womens hospital to find one? and also what kind of class should i look into after i become a RN? i know it seems kind of soon to be figuring all this out but i am the kind of person that has a passion and likes to have a plan to pursue it.  Once i have a goal its hard to change my mind about it..  My main goal is to have a career where i make an impact on peoples lives and being passionate about what i do and i feel like midwifery or something similar would give me that.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.