in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Hello From Australia

Last post 02-14-2011 12:52 AM by ninathebarefootmidwife. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2011 7:44 PM

• Dinah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2011
    • Posts 7

Hello From Australia

Hello Everyone :) 

I was registered here a long time back, but seem to have lost my way! 

I'm Rachael, from Central Queensland and over the last 4 years have been practicing homebirth midwifery. We have seen some pretty significant changes over the last year, which will see me finish my very small case load by April this year. 

I already see some familar names on the site :) and look forward to meeting new ones. 

Blessings,
    Rachael  

Filed under: ,
  • 02-09-2011 11:52 AM In reply to

• Luca
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2011
    • Posts 3

Re: Hello From Australia

Hi Rachel,

my name is Luca, i am Italian and i would to work in Australia...Can you help me with some questions please?

• 02-09-2011 3:43 PM In reply to

• Dinah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2011
    • Posts 7

Hi Luca,

I am most happy to answer any questions :) 

Blessings,
    Rachael 

• 02-09-2011 5:18 PM In reply to

• Luca
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2011
    • Posts 3

Hi,

thanks you are very kind.

I dont have an experience of work, i graduated last year and here in italy is not to find a work.

Is always request a previous experience for people that doesn't Australian?

English...i am not very good in english so is it possible to be take how a midwife but to frequent a course of english before to start the real work?

is there something that i can do for to have the work? i don't know something like assistant for example?

• 02-09-2011 7:56 PM In reply to

• Dinah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2011
    • Posts 7

Dear Luca, 

Try this site, it should have the information you are seeking:http://www.visabureau.com/australia/jobs/midwife-job-australia.aspx

You could also try contacting these organisations: 

1. Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (the governering body for registration)

2. Australian College of Midwives

Blessings,
    Rachael  

• 02-12-2011 9:15 AM In reply to

Hi Rachael,

Sorry to hear you are going to stop doing homebirths. What is it due to? And what are you going to do personally once you stop? Just curious...

Here in Germany many homebirths midwives are stopping to practise as well due to rising indemnity insurance premiums and bad payment for midwifery services.

Would be interesting to hear more about the situation in Australia.

Blessings to you, too,

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 02-13-2011 10:03 PM In reply to

• Dinah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2011
    • Posts 7

Hi Nina :)

There is a few reasons, I suppose and the insurance issue is a biggest issue for me. I only run a very very small buisness, I have young (breastfeeding) children myself... so I can only manage a tiny case load. The insurance way more than what I make in a year by a long way, plus the professional development points (is a emormous expense), plus professional memberships add up.... Keeping my clinical equipment (not that is too much) up to date and in date! adds up... Clients that havent paid and have betrayed my trust... clients that have spread vicious rumors.. I'm not strong enough to handle that at the moment.... 

This year I start my masters in midwifery and I've been applying for some child health nurse jobs through the governenment to help me bring in a more stable income with regular hours. We were affected in the recent flooding so I need to move on from my homebirth passion for the moment. 

Blessings,
    Rachael 

• 02-14-2011 12:52 AM In reply to

Hi Rachael,

So sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing. I wish you all the very best in your journey to do the masters, earn some money for the family, recover from the flooding... All the very best to you!

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.