in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Working as a midwife in the USA when you're from Belgium...

Last post 01-22-2011 11:12 AM by Brlnbabies. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2011 9:32 AM

Working as a midwife in the USA when you're from Belgium...

Hi guys!

My name is Caroline and I'm from Belgium (Europe). Next year I'll go to college in Belgium to become a midwife. Because I just LOVE America and because I have a lot off friends over there, I was wondering if it would be possible to first do my intership (over 3 years) in America and then to move to America to work there as a midwife...

The teacher from college told me that being a midwife in America isn't the same as being a midwife in Belgium... When you're a professional midwife in Belgium, you are allowed to 'do a birth on your own, without a doctor' (I'm sorry if the description is not that good, but I don't know how to translate it better ;) ). She also told me that there's a possibility that if I would do my intership in the USA, I wouldn't even be able to assist by a birth... And she also told me that there a some rules in some states about being a midwife...  So can someone tell my in wich states 'being a midwife' is a real, "legal" job?

I hope you guys understand my questions, and I'm looking forward to read the answers!
    I just want to know all these things because America is really in my heart, and I would be amazing to be there, forever :)

Thanks thanks thanks!!

Kisses Caroline!

• 01-22-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

Re: Working as a midwife in the USA when you're from Belgium...

First, let me say it's so nice to read that someone likes the US!  Breath of fresh air when so many people love to bash and hate us as a group.

You can go to the Midwifery Today store at the main site (www.midwiferytoday.com) and order a book called Paths to Becoming a Midwife. It's a great little book.  I'd also suggest that you sign up for the free e-newsletter and hopefully get a subscription to Midwifery Today (the journal).

Here are some good websites for you to peruse:  http://mana.org and http://learnmidwifery.com/organizations.htm

In the US, you cannot work in the hospital as a midwife unless you are a certified nurse midwife (CNM).  However, you can see by checking out the laws for each state in the sites given above, that you may be able to do home births legally in certain states. Some midwives, however, choose to practice illegally because they feel strongly about serving women at home.  Some communities actively persue those who are not CNMs and prosecute them or drive them underground and some communities choose to "ignore" those who are practicing illegally.  It can vary not only from state to state but from town to town/city to city and even within certain municipalities.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.