in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

A long year without MT

Last post 05-15-2009 10:54 PM by azores. 102 replies.
Page 7 of 7 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-10-2009 11:13 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

Re: A long year without MT

bluefish:

Thanks for sharing!  Sounds like your OT thought alot of it was a sensory processing issue.  Juju isn't as over sensitive as he used to be, but now that I think about that issue again - I'm wondering if he is finding certain places harder to deal with.  I know he hates musty smells, and the old building the PT is in has a musty smell in the hallway.  He cannot deal with Target for some reason...

Could it be the smell of popcorn?????

• 03-12-2009 11:52 AM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Doula Mary:
    Zoeysmom needs to share here....She is my Martha Stewart!

Geeked Lol... Hi Mary!

I couldn't help but jump in on the homemade products!  I am a total DIY junkie!  It saves my family money, but most importantly for us it doesn't bring any extra chemicals into our house.  My husband and myself are extremely sensitive.... smelling bleach brings on rashes, airfresheners/candles/body sprays cause severe migranes, etc...  Some things I've learned to make on my own include:

Shampoo and "conditioner", Deoderant (Love this one!), Body"wash"... maybe it's a Scrub... idk, Laundry detergent and Fabric softener, Dishwasher detergent, plus the usual Window cleaner, "Muti-purpose" spray, Air/Fabric refresher, Furniture polish, Floor wash (for mopping and one for steam cleaners too!), Carpet Refresher, ugh the list goes on... lol!

All of the above items I literally make with some combination of the following (super sheap) items and nothing more!: Baking Soda, Borax, Washing Soda, White or Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Olive oil, Liquid Oil Soap and plain old H20.  Seriously, here in the US I can pick up all of these items for probably $25 or less and it can last as long as 6 months!  Our seasonal allergies are better, we're not as fatigued, we feel better about ourselves and our green-ness and obviously by my droning on and on, really love it!  If anyone wants any of the recipies, just lemme know!  They're VERY simple, and none of them involve cooking :)  I'm no good in that department.... hahaha. 

Mandi
  • 03-12-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

YES!!! How do you make deodorant? Air freshener? Conditioner? Body scrub? Fabric softener? How about toothpaste? Bar soap without cooking???? I already know how to make detergent, thats the only thing lol :)

• 03-12-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

Ok...Azores you gonna get it as soon as Zoeysmom comes on, she is amazing....my Martha hero!

Mary

• 03-13-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Here's what I use right now, but there are MANY MANY recipies out there, so if this isn't your cup of tea, keep searching Wink

Deoderant:  Mix together 1 Tablespoon each olive oil, cornstarch, and baking soda.  That's it!  Sometimes I add 1 part Shea Butter to help with any irritation and a drop or 2 of essential oils are always lovely.  I put it in an airtight container and simply dip my fingers in and rub on.  Whatevers left on my hand makes a great lotion!

Air/Fabric Freshener:  To 2 Cups of Hot water add 2 Tablespoons Baking Soda.  Mix thoroughly until dissolved.  Add 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice.  Ta da!!  Pour into a small spary bottle and let the freshening begin!  (Essential oils here are great too!)

Conditioner:  Using a vinegar rinse after you shampoo is a great way to seal the moisture into your hair.  Mix 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar into 1 Cup of warm water and pour over your luscious locks.  (If you need more just add 2 TB to 2 cups and so on...)  You're hair will not smell like vinegar once it's dried... promise.  As far as a creamy-full-of-vitamins-makes-my-hair-shiny-and-happy conditioner any of the following are marvelous:  Avacado, mayo, olive oil (My fav), egg yolk, or tea tree oil.  Mash up whatever you have, goop it into your hair, wrap it up in a warm towel (just use your clothes dryer) and watch your fav TV show.  Rinse THOROUGHLY and Voila!

Body Scrub:  Take an old dried spice container (like from Cinnamon or Oregano), rinse it out well, let it dry and fill it up with... drum roll please.... Baking Soda!!  (sometimes I cut it half and half with sea salt)  Regular H20 is usually all I need to feel clean, that and a washcloth for some exfoliation.  But for those uber icky days or when I want to glow (about every 2 weeks or so for me), get wet and start sprinkling!  Scrub until you feel great then rinse well.  If you want an extra treat, follow up by rubbing half a sliced lemon (or orange or grapefruit) over your skin.  You'll smell great and litterally radiate with a youthful glow :)  Great for dry feet, hands, elbow and knees too  (also great for removing that "spray on tan" mistake you made...lol!)  The baking soda can be a little drying (especially during the winter months)but shea butter or any leftover homemade deoderant is a great remedy.

Fabric softener:  Just plain white vinegar in the fabric softer dispenser of my washing machine.  Usually about 1-2 cups will do the trick.  It works wonders, helps remove odors, and is completely eco-friendly.  Again, a couple drops of essential oils will have everyone smelling each other!

Toothpaste:  See Body scrub above Big Smile  I just use a smaller shaker container (filled only with bakingsoda) and store it in the medicine cabinet.  Sometimes I also rinse with a bit of diluted Hydrogen Peroxide beforehand for extra whitening and to help remove any extra gunkiness between my teeth.  Just follow the directions on the back of the Peroxide for the proper ratio.

I'll have to look into bar soap without cooking, but I'll find you something Wink

Mandi
  • 03-13-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

Told ya!

Thanks Mandi!

• 03-13-2009 4:52 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

Thank you Mandi! :) I'm going to try the deodorant, and body scrub as soon as I buy some sea salt.....how exciting!

How about make-up remover, specifically water proof liquid liner & maskara? I use olive oil, but dislike the way my eyes feel afterwards, heavy and somewhat blurry.

How about medicated acne wash? I know tea tree oil is good...any recipes?

Thank you! Woulnt it be neat if we could make our own make up...wow, that would be cool lol!!!

• 03-30-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

Hi everyone!! Good to be back...I posted a few other times before I found this thread :D It was fun catching up! You may or may not have read that last fall we experienced two more pg losses and are now pursuing adoption :) We were approved Wednesday and immediately given a referral for an 18-month old boy (we're adopting from Michigan's foster care system...HUGE need for adoptive families willing to adopt older kids). We're awaiting the arrival of his paperwork so we can decide whether or not to adopt (99.9% sure we're accepting the referral).

My kids are doing great..ages: 13, 11, 9, 8, 6, and 23 months.

Take Care!

Love, Kelly

• 03-30-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I really am sad to hear that you lost two more.  That's really heartbreaking.  I know you've had so many, that in a way its not so fearful and unknown, but still its hard, I can imagine.  Just the other day my DH and I were talking about our future and my voice caught in my throat when I said "I don't want to have 3 more miscarriages." (had three already)

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-13-2009 1:11 PM In reply to

Hi Everyone!  So I posted once already somewhere else but it looks like THIS is the thread where the real party is!  I missed everyone and it's so very good to get updates on all of you.  Mandi, I just copied and printed your recipes to try at home - can't wait! 

So much has happened in the last year for so many of us!  My husband and I have been hanging in there through some turbulent times.  Our family company has been hit pretty hard by the economic troubles and has gone from being a business with around 70 employees to 10 - we're in the construction industry, so......hanging on and praying.  We are still TTC, going on five years with one m/c and nothing else. 

But the good news is my husband is about to graduate with his AA in economics and is planning to continue on to ultimately complete his masters in accounting and get his CPA!  It has been such a struggle for him to believe he could do it but each new goal he passes helps him have just the tiniest bit more faith that it can happen.  OH are those grains of faith ever tiny! But each one counts. 

Meanwhile I am also looking at returning to life as a student: I'm actually researching which of the many options will be the best path for me to pursue midwifery!  So excited and so totally overwhelmed trying to come to a decision.  I plan on bombarding you wonderful ladies with lots of questions in the near future now that I can!  Watch out! 

In the category of "Current Causes for Fun and Anxiety in Aron's Life" is my ballet school (I'm a teacher there, but it's owned by a dear friend/mentor of mine) since our Spring production is less than 3 days away!  Just finished the sewing mountain last night about 10:30. 

Anyway, that's the highlights of my last year.  Finding you all and the MT forums back up again has just made my day. :)

Blessings,
    Aron

"I AM NOT CRAZY - it's just that my situation seems to require a crazy person."
  • 05-15-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

Didja see who else is back?  MAMAKITTYCHANCE!! Yay! Welcome back to the fold, Mamakittychance!

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-15-2009 5:16 PM In reply to

I find it fascinating how everyone is finding their way back...YAY!..MEOW!

Mary

• 05-15-2009 10:54 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

Hey Dancindoula! Hey WHERE'S Bren????????????????????????????????????????

Page 7 of 7 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.