in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

NMI (yet another school question)

Last post 05-03-2011 12:31 PM by sadiebug. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2011 12:33 AM

NMI (yet another school question)

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had attended/known anyone who had attended NMI (National Midwifery Institute) or any of the Hearts and Hands classes? 

Like so many others here, I've been weighing my options in terms of different distance programs, and have narrowed it down to NMI and MCU (Midwives College of Utah). The main differences for me are that MCU offers a Bachelors degree while NMI does not, and NMI offers hands-on classes while MCU does not (the distance program at least). I also feel like the MCU program is a little anal retentive in terms of the path one must take - the main advantage then of MCU is that I would also end up with a Bachelors and thus would be more competitive in the job market.

Although it is kind of cathartic to just write this out, I would be thankful for any feedback anyone has.

Thanks,

Sadie

• 02-28-2011 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: NMI (yet another school question)

You know, I hadn't even seen the MCU while I was searching. I don't know how I missed it because it's plainly on the MEAC list. I had narrowed my choices down to the NMI and the NCM. I was leaning toward the NCM because they offered degree based programs as well, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing at MCU above either of them. The biggest thing for me is the payment option because I'd have to drain my current savings just to enroll at either NMI or NCM. I also think a degree option would be better than a certificate, especially after you've dumped so much money into it. I asked in another thread if anyone had been there and had experiences. I hope for answers soon but it may not be necessary once I'm done reviewing the MCU website. Does the NMI hands on classes apply to people out of the actual location area of the school? Or are you talking about your clinical/shadowing part of the midwifery program? I guess I'm no help! But thanks for posting because you helped me!

http://medic2midwife.blogspot.com/
  • 03-03-2011 11:20 PM In reply to

I can't honestly remember why I didn't also consider NCM. Maybe I just ran out of browser windows on my computer. I'm going to have to look at it too. From what I can tell, it seems a little more complicated than NMI in terms of timing everything.

The way that NMI works, you do your academic stuff mainly on your own (regular distance program stuff), you take the Hearts and Hands Midwifery Intensives (classes about midwifery etc. that anyone in the area can attend, regardless of school), and you work with a preceptor. On the website, it says that you don't have to take the hands-on classes if you don't live in the SF Bay Area and can make arrangements with your preceptor or find a way to learn the information.

I still have to order the information booklet from them.

• 04-26-2011 11:47 AM In reply to

I sent my $10 check yesterday to NMI for their handbook and application.

Did you end up pursuing anything with NMI yet sadiebug?

Apprentice Midwife.
    Homeschooling mom of four with another on the way.
  • 05-03-2011 12:31 PM In reply to

I got my information packet about 2 weeks ago, but I still have to email Shannon Anton with some questions. From what I gathered, the hands-on classes (Hearts and Hands) can be offered via distance, and you have to complete those modules before continuing on to everything else, but I need to ask if I ought to wait unitl the next set of Hearts and Hands classes is offered to begin (as I live very close to where they are offered). I believe they start in July, so maybe I ought to just wait to enroll until then.

I also need to re-read the info in case I missed anything.

I suppose my main reasons for hesitation are, first, that NMI doesn't offer a degree like some of the other distance programs. Second, I can't afford to get my own apartment until I'm enrolled in college (an agreement with my parents) and don't want that to influence my decision (I currently live with my grandma and it's becoming increasingly stressful due to her growing dementia).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.