in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

I'm so thankful the boards are back!

Last post 02-24-2009 6:04 PM by Hypnomama. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2009 6:50 PM

• Hypnomama
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-28-2009
    • Kitsap Peninsula, WA
    • Posts 20

I'm so thankful the boards are back!

I was never a participant previously, but now Im at a different place in my life and have embarked upon my midwifery studies, picked my program (NCM) and am actively dancing with a preceptor. (It feels like a slow waltz right now) I'm still waiting for the preceptor to actively engage in taking the journey with me and Im on pins and needles.  I feel so close, yet so far from this dream.

I'd love some inspiration from those of you that are actively on the path to becoming a midwife.

I'd also love some feedback from anyone who completed the National College of Midwifery out of New Mexico's program.  Even though I live in the land of Seattle Midwifery I really feel drawn to this program and the balance of traditional apprenticeship vs. structured educational program. 

I'm excited to meet all of you in virtual community (hopefully in person community too)

Warmly,
    Alex
  • 01-28-2009 10:40 PM In reply to

• Isis
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • Geelong, Australia
    • Posts 8

Re: I'm so thankful the boards are back!

Me too! I am just about to start my nursing/midwifery studies (4 year double degree) here in Australia and will definitely use the forums to colour in the knowledge I am fed from the texts Wink

Isis
    Mum to Julia (7), Nathan (5) and Joshua (1)
    Fulltime B.Nursing/Midwifery student, Australia
  • 02-07-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

So am I! I am just starting out on my path toward midwifery but I am looking forward to seeing this community grow :)

~ Lamaze CBE ~ CNM student ~
  • 02-11-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

I too, am so excited to see the forums back.  It's been a long wait!

Well, I am moving along on my journey which is really exciting.  For awhile, my path was unfolding at a very slow rate but now I have a preceptor and things are going well.  Because of the area I live in, I chose to forego a MEAC school (my dh could get a better paying job if we moved, but we have family obligations in this area for the time being) because of the expense.  I enrolled in Advanced Midwifery Studies with Ancient Art Midwifery Institute 13 months ago and feel like I am learning a lot.  I will hopefully finish AAMI and sit for the NARM exam in 2011.

A midwife I know says if she could do it over, she would choose Midwives College of Utah so that she could get a BS and complete her CPM. I can understand that.  :)

Best wishes to you all!  Perhaps someday I will meet some of you at a conference...

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 02-14-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

• Jen636
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Metro Detroit
    • Posts 13

Me too!  I've missed this place.

I see a few names that are familiar.  Hi Michelle!  Hi Joyce!  Smile

~Jen~
    Primary Midwife Under Supervision
    Homeschooling mom of 3
  • 02-14-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

Hey Jen!  Cool

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 02-14-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Me too!  It was a LONG wait!! Smile

• 02-15-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

I too, am thankful for the return of the forums.  I have missed them.  I  a Frontier CNEP student and will be starting the clinical portion of my looong journey this May.  I am full of excitement and anxiousness all rolled into one......

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
  • 02-24-2009 6:04 PM In reply to

• Hypnomama
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-28-2009
    • Kitsap Peninsula, WA
    • Posts 20

Well, Im excited that this Friday will mark my 3rd of Clinic...  My preceptor made the decision to take me and Im still pinching myself.

So, Im still hem hawing on educational paths but continue to strongly lean towards NCM with some additional supplementation like some classes at Bastyr, UW.. and hopefully going to catch somewhere for a couple months in a high volume clinic.

Anyone else in Western WA and not going the SMS route?

Warmly,
    Alex
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.