in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Wondering if VBAC is a possibility for me

Last post 02-28-2011 4:43 PM by ninathebarefootmidwife. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2011 6:22 PM

    Wondering if VBAC is a possibility for me

    Hi,

    I'm not a midwife, but I'm looking for some advice to assess whether a VBAC  would be a viable option for me.  I had a c-cection with my first child.  My water broke at roughly 40 wks, but labor never started.  As I knew that I was group B strep positive, I went to the hospital to begin antibiotics.  A few hours after I was admitted, they started pitocin to initiate labor.  It didn't work.  They tried some gel as well... to make a long story short, 4 days, 3 inductions and 3 rounds of gel later, no 'productive' labor ever started so I had a c-section after only dialating 2 cms in all that time.  I don't think that they ever would have let it go on for as long as they did, but both baby and I were fine, and the labor and delivery unit was beyond busy, and it just took that long to get a bed.

    Now that I'm pregnant with another, I have to wonder whether that birth experience was unique, or whether I could expect my next labor (or lack of labor) to unfold the same way.   It was, in every way, the worst case scenario.  I was so totally exhausted after that long in the hospital being constantly monitored, I can't imagine doing it again (I still recall the feeling of being given my newborn son after the c-section, and thinking that I was too tired to hold it, and couldn't I just give him to someone else for a while?) .   I desperately want a VBAC - because I want to experience delivering my own child - but mostly because of the recovery associated with a c-section, and I'll I have a newborn and a 3 year old at home as well.

    Does this type of story sound familiar to anyone?  I've scoured the internet looking for a similiar story, and I haven't found one.  I guess I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that has had that kind of experience (or know the causes associated with that kind of experience)?.  Do I sound like a good VBAC candidate (if there is such a thing)?  Is it likely that a midwife would take me on?

     

    Thanks for any input or advice,
    Nancy

     

  • 02-28-2011 10:03 AM In reply to

    Re: Wondering if VBAC is a possibility for me

    I think it depends on a lot of factors. If you have the actual copy of your birth/labor notes, that would be most helpful for the midwife to make a decision. I've heard many VBAC sucess stories. VBAC was not an option for me. I was a 41w3d induced labor when placenta began to calficy after trying every single natural route in the book to go into labor. 43 hours of pitocin, 3 hours of pushing, baby began to show signs of distress and I was e-c/sectioned. My pelvis was way too narrow and she was a giant. For us, vaginal birth would not have worked and all of that documentation was enough for my very pro vbac midwife/perinatology team to decide that for baby 2, a repeat c-section would be necessary. 

     

    I also think it depends on your body structure, how you were cut and how much time you had to rest your uterus before your next pregnancy. Perhaps they will allow vbac, but they may want it in a hopital setting just in case. It depends a lot on how much everyone is willing to give. If you can get ahold of those notes, they would be the most benifical in making a decision. Just because one birth stalls doesn't mean the next one will! Good luck!

    http://medic2midwife.blogspot.com/
  • 02-28-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

    Re: Wondering if VBAC is a possibility for me

    Dear Nancy,

    Reading your story it sounds like you might be a good candidate for a VBAC indeed.

    It seems your body at the time was not ready to go into labour yet and therefore the induction did not work. This sounds familiar. I have heard similar stories quite often. You sure are not the only one!! 

    If you don't have any other particular health risks and if you can find an open-minded midwife, then I can't see why you should not have a beautiful VBAC and even a homebirth, if you so happen to wish.

    You should, however, avoid being induced again, as that slightly raises the risk of uterine rupture. Also, you and your midwife should think about what you want to do regarding group B strep, especially if waters break early again.

    All the best to you,

    Nina

    Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

    "Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.