in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

succenturiate lobe and SUA

Last post 12-08-2010 10:00 AM by mom4six. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2010 10:13 AM

succenturiate lobe and SUA

I have a question, my ultrasound detected a succenturiate lobe on my placenta as well as SUA. I would very much like to have a natural delivery and am wondering what the best course of action is? I usually decline the routine injection of oxytocin during the pushing stage and wonder if I should continue to do so or have it. I plan to nurse right away to help my uterus contract. What is the best way to deliver a succenturiate lobed placenta?

Also is it best to allow the placenta to come out on it’s own or to aid it by gently pulling on it while pushing? I always thought it was best to leave it but with my last delivery the OB pulled it out!

Thank-you so much!

• 12-08-2010 8:13 AM In reply to

Re: succenturiate lobe and SUA

Not sure what an SUA is, but a succenturate lobe usually comes right out w the main placenta. But most midwives check placenta's carefully to make sure a piece is not retained.

I would not recommend pp artificial oxytocin, which would be more likely to trap the extra lobe, than expel it, if it doesn't come out with the main lobe. Of course, if you have recieved artificial oxytocin during labor, that short-circuits your bodies ability to produce it after the birth, and you may benefit from getting it pp if you have gotten it during labor. If the placenta is rushed or pulled, the lobe is more likely to be left behind than if it is left to come naturally.

I do recommend immediate nursing as soon as your baby is breathing, as the best way to facilitate complete placenta expulsion with minimal bleeding.     

• 12-08-2010 10:00 AM In reply to

Re: succenturiate lobe and SUA

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! SUA is single umbilical artery...I just had an ultrasound yesterday and the tech said I didn't had an extra lobe?!! She suspects that the previous ultrasound was wrong...Oh my!

I definitely plan to nurse as soon as babe is ready to aid in delivering the placenta - thank-you for your feedback about the pp oxcytocin...I find it is completely unnecessary and now I feel much more confident in telling the doctor so!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.