in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Wondering if I can have a homebirth??

Last post 11-02-2010 3:44 AM by marlenecpm. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-19-2010 12:24 PM

• Mom-of-3
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • TX & AR
    • Posts 3

Wondering if I can have a homebirth??

I'm a mother to three boys, and wanting to have a homebirth. I have had 2 c-sections and 1 normal birth. My first c-section was when I was 17 and my doctor at the time had a party to attend and got impatient. My 2nd son was born in the hospital with no complications, I progressed fast and he was born within 3 hours. My last son was born by c-section because I used the same doctor I had used with my first child. He wasn't willing to let me try and I felt very cheated. I would love to have this child at home but unsure of what the guidelines are for a VBAC birth at home. Could anyone help me please?

Filed under: ,
  • 10-19-2010 6:59 PM In reply to

Re: Wondering if I can have a homebirth??

Have you been in contact with any midwives in your area to interview them and ask them questions about a VBAC? That might be the best place to start.  It sounds like for most midwives, you would be a great candidate for another VBAC.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 10-19-2010 7:22 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Mom of 3,

you sound like a great HBAC candidate. Some questions, it's not a pass or fail thing either;  How old are you?  What are your children's ages?  Any previous tearing in your uterus?  How were your c/s's performed, low ab and uterine incision, (bikini cut) or vertical?  Are you pregnant now?

HBAC is probably the only way you're going to be able to go if you want a yoni birth.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 10-20-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

• Mom-of-3
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • TX & AR
    • Posts 3

I'm 33 years old now, but will be 34 when I deliver. My boys are 15 yrs, 7 yrs, and 13 months. As far as I know I didn't have any tearing of my uterus. My pregancies were all pretty normal, no high blood pressure, edema, or spotting. The two c/s's were bikini cuts, I was up walking within an hour. I am 15 weeks pregnant now, and seeing my old ob/gyn that I less than care for. We will be moving in two months to AR and I'm hoping to find a midwife there. In the mean time I'm seeing the ob about every 5 weeks. I did tell him I want a homebirth and his reply was, " We are not living in the wild west, your insurance won't cover you having a baby on your kitchen floor and those women aren't trained doctors. If you want to chance losing your fetus it's your call." So I'm not very happy with him  Sad

• 10-20-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

• Mom-of-3
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • TX & AR
    • Posts 3

I have been in contact with two midwives that work in the area I will be moving too, but until I get moved I won't get to meet with them in person. And I'm really against having another unnecessary c-section so a ob can get to his golf game or party.

• 11-02-2010 3:44 AM In reply to

of course you can have a homebirth! Why do you keep going back to that ob?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.