in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Student Midwives- How do you make it work?

Last post 08-19-2010 11:26 AM by rojaza. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2010 4:47 PM

• christea
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2009
    • Jupiter, FL
    • Posts 15

Student Midwives- How do you make it work?

Hey all!

I'm a happily married (almost 30 y/o) woman, currently childless, who carries a mortgage, and works a full-time job to pay the bills. I am also an aspiring midwife, and I'm really trying to figure out how to make this work! Quitting work is not an option, neither is going to part-time...

I've been checking out MCU, NCM & NMI. Florida does not license midwives who have not gone to an MEAC accredited school, so AAMI, and PEP are out of the question. There are several midwives in the area, who I am going to be scheduling meetings with soon to see if they would be willing to take on a part-time apprentice (if this is something that can even happen...)

I've been considering trying to get certified in medical transcriptioning or something that I can do from home, and have some more flexibility, but I have to have about the same level of income that I have. And getting that cert will delay the midwifery training.

I KNOW that I cannot possibly be the only person who has heard "the call" at a time when it's not convenient. How do you/did you make it work?

Christie
    Aspiring Midwife
    Wife & Fur-Mommy to 1 small dog
  • 08-18-2010 12:23 AM In reply to

Re: Student Midwives- How do you make it work?

LOL I know what you meen! I've been know to cry alot! jk

But I think the best things is as you've mentioned, do something related. Yes, it may delay your Midwifery training, but it may also delay the bill collecters! Also, & I know this may not be an option for some, but can you learn to live on less???

Good Luck to you!

B Rhie

• 08-18-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• christea
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-29-2009
    • Jupiter, FL
    • Posts 15

I could totally live on less- the problem is that the mortgage company won't take less. To think, we thought we were "living the dream" when we bought our house- now it's just a pain in my butt!

Christie
    Aspiring Midwife
    Wife & Fur-Mommy to 1 small dog
  • 08-19-2010 11:26 AM In reply to

christea:
    There are several midwives in the area, who I am going to be scheduling meetings with soon to see if they would be willing to take on a part-time apprentice (if this is something that can even happen...)

Apprenticing while holding down a paying job is so difficult, if not impossible, in my experience...mainly because of the level of commitment  required for births (different midwives and families you work with may be ok with some flexibility, i.e. can only come to births on days not working.  From what I recall this is not very common though, and this also lesses the amount of experience you would be getting, which misses the point of apprenticing entirely ;) ).  Is there another aspiring midwife in your area who would be willing to sort of team up and take turns being on call, depending on work schedules, family needs, etc.?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.