in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Midwife in Kampala, Uganda?

Last post 03-15-2012 1:50 PM by midwifejenny. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2010 9:29 AM

Midwife in Kampala, Uganda?

I am planning on moving to Kampala, Uganda in March with my family. I am pregnant with my 4th baby and hope to give birth in Kampala at home with a midwife. I have had one hosptital birth in Thailand and two home births with midwives, all complication free. I will be having prenatal care in the States until we arrive in Uganda. Are there any midwives experianced in homebirth in Kampala ?

• 08-14-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: Midwife in Kampala, Uganda?

Dear Kristen

I am an experienced British homebirth midwife, and there is just a chance that I will be going out to Kampala next year.  It would be good to stay in touch in case I get there.  Have you been before?  What will you be doing out there?

You can read more about me at www.3shiresmidwife.co.uk.

Best wishes

Valerie

Valerie Gommon
    Independent Midwife
    www.3shiresmidwife.co.uk
    www.BirthIndex.co.uk
  • 08-23-2010 2:26 PM In reply to

Valerie,

Thank you for your response. We plan to move to Kampala in Feb and my due date is April 1st. My husband will be bringing his business to Kampala. Will you be visiting or moving to Kampala? If you have been there, do you feel the hospitals are in good condition if transport was needed during labor? We have not visited so I am trying to find out all I can about the birth climate and if giving birth in Uganda is a comfortable option. Thank you for your time. Blessing- Kristen

• 09-10-2010 2:58 PM In reply to

Hi Kristen

Apologies for being slow to reply - I am trying to sort out my plans.  I have never been to Kampala (or Africa) but I do have a friend out in Kampala and would be visiting rather than staying there.  I will try to find out about the hospitals for you ... but hopefully we would not need to go to hospital based on your past experience.

If you want to speak directly my email is info@3shiresmidwife.co.uk and I am also on Skype.

Hope to speak soon.

Valerie

Valerie Gommon
    Independent Midwife
    www.3shiresmidwife.co.uk
    www.BirthIndex.co.uk
  • 09-14-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

Hi Kristen

I have spoken with my friend in Kampala and he tells me that at the time you will be having your baby ... end March/beginning April there will be elections in Uganda and that he is concerned that there could be unrest in the country.  I have to say that it doesn't fill me with confidence and he even suggested that you might not want to be in the country at that time, or if you have to be that you may need to stay indoors.

With best wishes

Valerie info@3shiresmidwife.co.uk

Valerie Gommon
    Independent Midwife
    www.3shiresmidwife.co.uk
    www.BirthIndex.co.uk
  • 09-18-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

Thank you for that information. We will take it into consideration. Thanks for all your help. Blessings-Kristen

• 09-18-2010 1:13 PM In reply to

Hey there,

when is your due date? If you have to go to a hospital in Kampala I would go to Mulago. for finding a midwife I would email International Midwives assitacne who porvide the best care I have seen in Uganda, they work in the north but might be able to give you a name of somone in Kampala.

Or if nothing better can be aranged you can have a birth center birth at the Shanti Uganda birth house in Kasana,Luwero district, that is 1-2 hours from Kampala

for the chacne that you do end up in a hospital I would make sure to bring with you all the nescusery supplies including gloves, pitocin and even a sterile birth kit. the staff may be very skilled but supplies are not always available. you can buy the supplies in Kampala, no problem.

feel free to be in touch with any queations.

Uganda is magnificent!

Marva

• 09-19-2010 11:53 AM In reply to

Marva,

My due date is April 1st. Are you currently living in Uganda or have you spent time there traveling/working? I was planning on bring my own birth kit, meds, and supplies. If you know of any midwives near the area, please pass on their info. Do you know anything about immunizations and what is available for the new baby? Would there be immunizations that I would need to bring from the US? We hand carried immunizations into China from Thailand after my fist son was born. Thanks for your help and info! Kristen

• 08-11-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

Hello, 

How did the Ugandan birth experience work out? I'm in exactly the same positin, due to give birth next month and still hoping to get hold of an internatinally trained (prefereably British) midwife for a home birth, no luck so far so any contacts, advice or reassurance about Midwifery in Ugandan hospitals would be welcome. 

Rebecca

• 02-23-2012 4:22 AM In reply to

• kath
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2012
    • Posts 2

Hi Rebecca,

It seems you haven't been given a decent reply, I am sorry.  How has everything been for you regarding the birth?  I am British living in the UK and three months pregnant and my partner has taken a job in Uganda, which will start in mid April this year 2012.  So far I have found information about a woman's clinic which looks good on their website, but the thing that most bothers me is yellow fever. 

Please can I ask if it was your first child that you wanted to have at home?  It would be really good to hear from you about your experiences in pregnanct and birth and if you managed to find a British midwife.

Regards

kath

• 02-23-2012 4:27 AM In reply to

• kath
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2012
    • Posts 2

Hi Kristen,

I hope you and your children are well

Did your birth go well in Uganda?  I am eager to find out what the conditions may be like if you would care to share your experience.  I am in the UK now but might well be in Uganda for the birth of my first child in September. My partner will be taking a job in Kampala in April, so I would be really grateful if you can help. 

Many Thanks

Kath

• 03-15-2012 1:50 PM In reply to

I'm afraid it's too late now seeing as it's the middle of March, but I thought I would offer my services in the future should you need a midwife who is willing to travel to other countries where home birth is not an option otherwise. Feel free to message me privately or here. Also, my website is listed below for anyone interested in seeing my background and passion.

Blessings,

Jenny

Jenny Hall, CPM, LM
    www.newbirthmidwifery.com
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.