in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Hello :)

Last post 07-10-2010 5:15 AM by Dechen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2010 10:32 PM

• Dechen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-20-2010
    • Australia
    • Posts 4

Hello :)

Hi all!

I'm an aspiring student midwife-to-be (applying for 2011 BMid) in Australia. I've just started volunter training in breastfeeding education, too. My passions lie particularly in the areas of homebirth, natural birth, breastfeeding, and attachment parenting. I hope to be a homebirth IM, eventually. I sincerely wish I could do an apprenticeship model of training with a local homebirth midwife, but unfortunately this isn't an option here if you want to be registered.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people and learning a lot...

xo

• 07-02-2010 2:38 PM In reply to

Re: Hello :)

Welcome to MT and MTF.  Its pleasure to meet you and hope to stay you around.

Have no clue and really have not that much info on your questions.  Have seen this topic in threads on here and off of here in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them.

Highly recommend that you check out MT and MTF as well.  At the same time I recommend that you check out Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what. Do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you. For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck with this.

• 07-08-2010 11:50 PM In reply to

Hi Dechen.  I just replied to your posts in another thread.  You are correct in that there is no formal apprenticeship model leading to registered midwifery in Australia.  However, the new BMid program offered by Griffiths University does, I believe, allow students to do most of their clinical placements with an IM.  I believe the course is offered externally.  It may be worth checking out.

Rachele
    Australian Homebirth Midwife
  • 07-10-2010 5:15 AM In reply to

• Dechen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-20-2010
    • Australia
    • Posts 4

Thanks so much for that info, r8chele. :) I will definitely look into it. I am in Vic, so have only been looking in my state. I hadn't thought of interstate universities offering external programs...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.