in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Home births and insurance

Last post 06-09-2010 8:12 AM by marlenecpm. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2010 12:48 PM

Home births and insurance

I am six weeks pregnant with my first child and in the process of finding a midwife. I would like to do a homebirth, and it seems like most home births are with CPMs. However, I would like for this to be covered by my insurance, which wants me to select an in-network midwife. From what I can tell, the in-network midwives are all CNMs who don't do home births.

I am writing to see if anyone has any insight or advice. A CNM who did homebirths would be fine, or a CPM who's in the Cigna network would
    work too. Has anyone come across this predicament before?

Filed under: , ,
  • 06-09-2010 3:48 AM In reply to

Re: Home births and insurance

Depending on the laws governing midwifery in your state, you may not be able to find what you're looking for.  You can check on the midwifery laws by going to www.mana.org or www.narm.org.  For ex., in my state, only CNMs (who have medical doctor backup) and medical doctors can legally catch babies at home, so they are the only midwives who can take insurance.  We also have one (wonderful) doc who only attends women at home (he doesn't do hospital births) and he takes Medicaid only. Some women find that they qualify for pregnancy Medicaid but they don't normally qualify for "regular" Medicaid so maybe that's an option for you. I  am not that familiar with the Medicaid regs to know whether you can have insurance plus Medicaid.

You might want to talk to the CPMs you are interested in and find out what they charge and how their fee structure works.  Some women feel so strongly about birthing at home that it is worth it to pay out of pocket.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-09-2010 8:12 AM In reply to

Re: Home births and insurance

I am a nonlicensed CPM, in OH and I have gotten reimbursed by Cigna and a few other ins. companies. However most of my clients don't have insurance, so I don't deal w them often.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.