in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Homebirth inductions after water breaking

Last post 06-04-2010 6:21 PM by Brlnbabies. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2010 5:09 AM

Homebirth inductions after water breaking

So. I am at a homebirth this weekend and am looking for some suggestions. The woman's due date is tomorrow (Tuesday), but her water broke on Friday. She's had intermittent, mild ctx with no regular pattern, at odd intervals in the days since then. Her pattern has been to start ctx in the evening. They get progressively more intense till around nine to eleven o'clock when she gets tired, goes to bed to sleep and the ctx peter out. So far we've tried:

Cohosh (black and blue)

knee chest position (possibly baby's hands on head)

stair climbing

castor oil

enema (2X)

massage

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• 05-24-2010 12:17 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Re: Homebirth inductions after water breaking

Homeopathic caulophyllum 30 C, 5 pellets in a water bottle sipped throughout the day.  When the water is gone, do it again in another bottle of water.  Acupuncture.  Husband's semen orally.  or alternatively, evening primrose oil orally.  Nipple stimulation.  Is there a way for the midwife to make sure baby is tucked really well so that the head is well applied to the cervix (no internal checks of course).  If she is a multip, perhaps, she could benefit from binding her belly, keeping the baby up and supported in a downward direction, rather than the baby hanging outwards (does that make sense?). 

I'm not a midwife, btw.  I just have lots of ideas because I recently was very anxious to get my baby out.  :-)  EPO vaginally (my water had not broken), caulophyllum, and a few tweeks of the nipple seemed to push me over the edge into productive labor.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-29-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

yeah, what she said! nipple stim tops my list. Also try taking a hot shower or bath, then rubbiing castor oil on your belly, then go lie down to take a nap, covering it with a warm wet towel or heating pad, while you rest. (sure beats drinking it!)

• 06-02-2010 5:28 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

Hopefully, this Mama has had her babe by now, but here goes.  I like all of the other suggestions, especially checking the positioning of the baby...by Leopolds, not vaginally.  Is the head tucked? Also, binding up the belly with a rebozo.  Also, I love Cotton Root Bark tincture...it increases the receptivity of oxytocin receptor sites and works wonderfully, esp in conjunction with some nipple stim....

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
  • 06-04-2010 1:29 PM In reply to

Well, after EIGHT DAYS of non-effective, off and on contractions, we finally got a good ctx pattern going. Three hours and six pushes later she birthed a healthy, beautiful, 8lb 7oz baby girl. Fast descent led to some facial bruising, poor thing, but now at a week old, she's perfect.

Here's what ended up having the best effect (after days of positioning exercises and maneuvers from the spinningbabies.com website, over TEN OZ of Castor Oil-- completely didn't work, and tons of Black/Blue Cohosh):

• Cotton Root Bark and Goldenseal Tinctures, every half hour each, alternating on the fifteen minute mark (a different tincture every fifteen min)
    • Aconite Homeopathic (to address issues of fatigue, stress and anxiety)
    • Arnica and Pulsatilla Homeopathic, together every hour

Post-labor positioning of the baby seem to indicate a nuchal hand may have been holding things up. Or possibly TWO hands :) As a side note, she took about two days off of attempts to start labor before the final days when we threw eveything we had at her. Good idea to let her get as well-rested as possible.

• 06-04-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

Thank you for the update! What a tribute to the 3 P's of labor: patience, patience, patience.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.