in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Licensure in NY State

Last post 08-08-2010 3:33 PM by RobsGirl. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2010 11:50 AM

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Licensure in NY State

Hello all,

I know there are a few NY midwive/aspiring NY midwives s here on the forums.  I've contacted my midwives to ask this question, but they're really busy and I hate to keep bugging them on a non-urgent issue like this, so I thought I'd put this out there.  If anyone has the time and current info, I'd be so appreciative. 

What does it take to become licensed in the state of NY as a direct entry midwife?  I've looked at the Citizens for Midwifery, but the one thing my midwife did tell me was that they are "very wrong" in their statement of the requirements.  This is the link for the info on the website:

http://cfmidwifery.org/states/states.aspx?ST=NY

Another NY issue is that all licensed midwives have to obtain a written practice agreement with a physician.  This makes it really difficult/impossible for many midwives to practice legally.  Recently, great strides have been made to do away with this requirement and there are two bills that are currently in the Higher Education Committee waiting for evaluation.  If you are in NY and haven't already, you can go here:

http://www.nysalm.org/mma.htm

You can find your senators and assembly members at links on this page in order to send emails/letters voicing your support. I did it and it was quick and easy since they have a pre-written letter that you can copy and paste if preferred.  You can always call your senators and assembly members as well.

Thanks,

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-01-2010 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: Licensure in NY State

Just received this email that might be relevant to your pursuits:

We need your help! 

At midnight tomorrow, April 30th, the majority of New York City's home birth midwives will no longer be able to practice legally.  Unless immediate action is taken by the Governor and the NYS Department of Health the women that these midwives serve will be denied access to a home birth with their chosen provider and these providers will no longer be able to practice legally in NYS.  

YOU MUST ACT NOW to save the home birth option for New York Women:
    Call:
    • Wendy Saunders, Executive Deputy Commissioner for the NY State Department of Health, appointed by Governor Paterson. 518-474-8390
    • Larry Mokhiber, he Secretary of the Board of Midwifery (518-474-3817, extension 130)
    And say....

With the closing of St. Vincent's Hospital, half of the licensed, highly trained home birth midwives serving NYC have lost their Written Practice Agreement (WPA).   St Vincent's was the only Hospital in the city supportive of a woman's right to choose a home birth and willing to sign a WPA.  In the weeks since it's announced closure, these midwives have reached out to hospitals and obstetricians all across the city looking for support, with no success.  Please help us to save the homebirth option in New York. 

Please Join us! We need your help.

Photo borrowed from the Photography Project through the Free our Midwives Site. Click here for more information, more photos, and to learn how to submit your own photos to this great project.

We are in our final hours! Please forward this email and help us flood 311 and the Governor's office with calls supporting home birth.

And while you're at it, please sign our petition supporting the Midwifery Modernization Act which will remove the WPA from the midwifery law effectively removing this barrier to accessing midwifery care.

See NYSALM's fact sheet about what the Midwifery Modernization Act Means for You.

Address postal inquiries to:
      Choices In Childbirth
      441 Lexington Avenue, 19th floor
      New York, NY 10017-3924