in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Childbirth Education: Challenges and Spicin' It Up

Last post 01-03-2010 9:43 AM by lifeAgift. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-27-2009 10:38 AM

Childbirth Education: Challenges and Spicin' It Up

Childbirth educators, what challenges have you faced in 2009 and how do you plan to spice things up in 2010?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 01-03-2010 9:43 AM In reply to

Re: Childbirth Education: Challenges and Spicin' It Up

I spent last year doing CBE in more of a consultative approach one on one. This arrangement happened by default and was amenable to all but not really part of the bigger picture for me. Past experience in group settings isa bit dated but I'm ready to revamp and get back into the sing of things.

This year I hope to offer group sessions to pregnant teens and women in detention. Reason being is that I've identified these two populations as women who often lack resources and or access to CBE that is natural birth centered. Sometime ago I was appauled by a case in Arkansas where an incarcerated woman had to labor while shackled to her hospital bed with an armed guard outside her hospital room door. She was a check bouncer, not a mass murderer or fugitive. I recently had the opportunity to tour a local detention center and found out that the mothers in custody are transported to a very questionably run county hospital "for delivery". Also I'm a former teen/ single mom and from memory I recall that CBE classes were either too costly, medical intervention complinace promoters, geared towards mothers with spouses, boring... my sources tell me things haven't changed much in my area. So I'm ready to blaze  trail!  

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.