The 10 Commandments of a Good Birth
These were originally posted on our Twitter page. Number 1 is by Gloria Lemay; 2-10 are by Jan Tritten.
- A good midwife is worth her weight in gold if you want a good birth experience. Shop carefully and pay her well.
- Thou shalt eat a healthy diet: 80-100 grams of protein, salt food to taste and lots of fruits and veggies and eat seafood; and be happy.
- Trust Birth, trust yourself. You can do it.
- Prenatal care is what you do between your visits to your care provider. Eat well. Love lots. Reduce stress. Your baby will appreciate it!
- Homebirth: the gold standard. If possible, stay home for your birth. Birth centers are a good option, too. When necessary, hospitals save lives.
- Avoid unnecessary technology like the plague. It may be the plague - including ultrasound (Dopplers and scans) during pregnancy!
- Just say no to drugs and intervention.
- Your body is perfectly designed to carry, grow and birth your baby. If that isn’t enough, your body can feed your baby too!!
- Birth Works; let it. Know that you can do it. It is an awesome and important step to motherhood - a miracle you can achieve.
- Thou shalt breastfeed your baby for as long as possible. The health benefit for motherbaby is unsurpassed by any other act. Breast is best.
Read these articles by Gloria Lemay.